Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Data remanence: How many possible timea can you start a new save file in R/B/Y? - Page 1

Data remanence: How many possible timea can you start a new save file in R/B/Y?

Posted by: ctfmon
Date: 2017-04-21 16:01:49
Going to preface this by saying that although I've been interested in Pokemon glitches for several years now, I've never really done much of it myself. So I know a fair amount butI don't have a lot of first hand experience.

There are some glitches that recall information from previous deleted saves. With this is mind, is there a limit to how many save files can ever be created on a game cart? If so, what is that limit?

Re: Data remanence: How many possible timea can you start a new save file in R/B/Y?

Posted by: Caveat
Date: 2017-04-21 17:38:18
Based on my (admittedly low) knowledge of Game Boy programming, I don't think that there is a limit. The remnants from past save files would not "stack" until there is no more space for writing saves, they would just be replaced. In addition, said remnants would be eventually overwritten as you progressed with that save file.

If you were doing it on console, there MAY be a possibility that you exhaust the save battery, but I know diddly-squat about Game Boy hardware, so don't quote me on that.

Re: Data remanence: How many possible timea can you start a new save file in R/B/Y?

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2017-04-21 19:19:36
SRAM chips tend to wear out over time, which IIRC can be influenced by how much data is read/written, just like HDDs.

Posted by: ctfmon
Date: 2017-04-22 21:04:07

SRAM chips tend to wear out over time, which IIRC can be influenced by how much data is read/written, just like HDDs.

Are there any interesting glitches that could arise from a worn down SRAM chip? Or would it simply result in save corruption/deletion?

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2017-04-22 21:27:26
With save checksumming, you'd have to be lucky to be able to load a save. Then again, I've saved and successfully reloaded a game while under Super Glitch effects multiple times on hardware, so who knows?