Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Problem with legit mew glitch for yellow VC - Page 1

Problem with legit mew glitch for yellow VC

Posted by: Moraxno
Date: 2017-06-23 08:11:36
Hey guys, I hope some of you can help me. I wanted to get a Gen 1 mew on my Gen 7 game and I ran into a problem:

I followed these instructions https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/5q8zlg/getting_gen_1_mew_in_yellow_guide_does_not_work/
to set up my 2DS' Pokemon Yellow VC to get a legit mew for bringing it to my pokemon moon game.

After gathering all pokemon for my pc and of course the ws# #m# i double checked all my setups and came across the fact, that my item is actually called ws#l'#m# and this frightened me of course.

I went to the big list http://glitchcity.info/biglist.htm checking if i have made a mistake with my p'pkmn p' encounter. But this exact item name does not exist. It looks like a mix between Hex 63 and 67.

I am not sure if this is the consequence of using a german game, which maybe shifts some characters due to the additional umlauts on the keyboard or if this is just a wrong item. Fearing to corrupt my savefile, destroying the work I put in I woul'd like to ask you if anyone knows the answer to my problem.

I would really appreciate it since I'm starting to like glitching games and finding techniques to exploit programming errors
and would like to be more active in this community :D

Thank you in advance  :)

Re: Problem with legit mew glitch for yellow VC

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2017-06-23 09:22:50
You should've started with the fact that it's a German copy. This is also gonna shift shit around in memory, so you'll need to modify your code.

It's a good thing you asked, huh?

Date: 2017-06-23 09:37:24
This is in fact a tremendously good thing  O_o. I dodged a bullet there, thank you ;D. Well okay, so i guess i have to adjust the pokemon stored as well as the items used in the inventory(?). Can you tell me a resource where i could find information about the memory allocation across different localizations?

Date: 2017-06-23 12:16:55
This is still an ongoing investigation, but there's some good info here to get you started. The bootstrap shouldn't change too terribly much, but any jumping, reading from/writing to bytes, etc. will have to be modified.

Date: 2017-06-23 16:30:45
Well okay… This looks quite interesting. :) So…. if I took the Z80 OP code list, disassemblies of the german and english pokemon yellow, the big hex list and a ton of time i should be able to correct the setups myself, given that I am insane enough to trust my own code which I just created for a system I have no experience with and the potential danger of destroying ~12 hours of work. 8) Or did I get something wrong?

Date: 2017-06-23 18:33:56
Exactly. I wish you the best of luck on your code-based travels.

And don't fuck up.  :P

Posted by: anti-freak
Date: 2018-01-10 14:19:47
I discovered the same issue. I'm using the vc yellow edition, too. Did anybody already discover a way for the german version of the game?