Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

is there a glitch mon that turns into a bad clone if traded to gen 2 - Page 1

is there a glitch mon that turns into a bad clone if traded to gen 2

Posted by: forsyz
Date: 2017-07-13 09:49:47
bad clones are difficult to get if out using ace in gs

Re: is there a glitch mon that turns into a bad clone if traded to gen 2

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2017-07-13 11:57:00
Nope, AFAIK there's not. And I believe Gen II would deny the trade due to "bad Pokémon".

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2017-07-13 12:37:49
Sadly there may not be a way to do this in Generation I linked with Generation II, except possibly with remote arbitrary code execution or OAM DMA hijacking, which I'm unsure how you'd go about doing with these games.

However, by linking a Japanese Gold/Silver with six Pokémon with an English Gold with one Pokémon that only just got access to the Trade Center you can by trading Pokémon 1 (EN version) with Pokémon 6 (JP version) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fvurV8KPEo).

A bad clone is normally a hybrid between a Pokémon and the hex:00 glitch Pokémon (such as a Sneasel bad clone), which allows for party overloading; the basis for bad clone glitch. Hybrid glitch Pokémon can't be traded to Generation II due to the abnormal Pokémon trap.

Furthermore although altering a Generation I glitch Pokémon's stored types to match the equivalent Generation II glitch Pokémon will allow it to be traded into Generation II  (e.g. a Water/Psychic-type 'M 00 can be traded as Slowpoke to Generation II as a Slowpoke because the types match), there are no glitch Pokémon that are interpreted as hex:00 or hex:FF in Generation II with a Generation I game (one of the two index numbers where party overloading is possible).

If you're looking for a bad clone to get Celebi though you may be able to use arbitrary code execution instead. In EN Gold/Silver (only the English version sadly) you can use the Coin Case glitch to get a Celebi or an FF bad clone. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpfgOVfGVTo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ3nK2iQo8c).

For Crystal I recommend arbitrary code execution with "pseudo-bad clones" (here, with code in the description to get Celebi https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtRFxxKW7mY), which is arguably the most reliable method so far. Pseudo bad clones if I remember rightly don't become ????? when put into the Day Care and out, but they do have an unterminated name. Using 8F/ws m in Red/Blue (8F) or Yellow (ws m), or the 9F glitch item (Red/Blue) we can get an unterminated name Pokémon, such as a Lapras with Perish Song, Bide and Safeguard which redirects the code to box names.

For this I recommend using a box with the Lapras with 9F, as 9F doesn't execute arbitrary code but has a constant effect; which is corrupting the stack and Pokémon nicknames if used too much. After the nickname is corrupted you can save and reset the game to fix the stack but keep the corrupted nickname.

You can also use TM33 arbitrary code execution for Crystal, which is harder but definitely also a way. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgCJxChdonc

Hope this helps!

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2017-07-14 07:58:50

Sadly there may not be a way to do this in Generation I linked with Generation II, except possibly with remote arbitrary code execution or OAM DMA hijacking, which I'm unsure how you'd go about doing with these games.

OAM DMA hijacking?
…OH YEAH… ISSOtm had to do that for the Pokemon Red: Stryder7x edition save file.
[size=4pt]That was hilarious to watch go down. Not for him, but the rage was real[/size]
Anyway, that code could be reused for this.
And we could do to Gen 2 what we did to Gen 1 and Stadium: Buffer overflow ACE (if exists)

Date: 2017-07-14 10:22:06
its a pain to get a bad clone and I want to do ace on crystal but  I don't think there's a way to link a gbc game up to emulated Pokemon stadium 2

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2017-07-14 11:16:35
What is your goal exactly? If you want to perform ACE but can't use a Bad Clone, you can still perform the other ACE methods. Since you seem to have a Gen I game, why don't you use TM Code Execution as Torchickens suggested?

Date: 2017-07-16 06:24:45

its a pain to get a bad clone and I want to do ace on crystal but  I don't think there's a way to link a gbc game up to emulated Pokemon stadium 2

What is your goal exactly? If you want to perform ACE but can't use a Bad Clone, you can still perform the other ACE methods. Since you seem to have a Gen I game, why don't you use TM Code Execution as Torchickens suggested?

Yeah, you don't need a bad clone for glitch TM ACE and you can also use the arguably easier unterminated name glitch Pokémon ACE. If you have 9F on Generation I the unterminated name glitch Pokémon method doesn't require resetting for a pseudo-bad clone (which is a corrupted Pokémon similar to a bad clone that doesn't become ????? after putting it into the Day Care and out). These two methods require accessing the Time Capsule and don't require Stadium 2; which only helps for obtaining a bad clone.

Date: 2017-07-16 07:38:24
using yellow though and it does not have 9f

Date: 2017-07-16 08:41:38

using yellow though and it does not have 9f

I see. If you use -g m (hex:6A) on Yellow many times instead of 9F you can corrupt box nicknames in the same way.