Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Are Super Glitch Moves Random Outcomes? - Page 1

Are Super Glitch Moves Random Outcomes?

Posted by: Flashlight237
Date: 2017-07-30 07:54:45
So yeah, the reason I'm asking this is, well, I was having a field day with glitch move #167 (Hex ID: A7). As of now, I managed to get these effects from it.:

Type: (Glitch)9Poke(Glitch)99
PP: 20
Effects:
Common Effects: Freezes the game and makes the sounds freak out upon pressing "Fight"
Makes the enemy pokemon "sweat" and freezes the game.
Instantly poisons the enemy, then makes it sleep while also filling the game with glitchy garbage.
Fills the text box with a glitchy mess with the Player's name and the word "Item"

Rare Effects: Actually working. The move itself has an animation similar to Cut. The move is rather powerful; I landed 6 HP of damage on an LM4 with a defense of 15 (my LM4 has 13 attack), which would give me an approximate power range of 57-73. Also, the move drains the opponent's HP.

On Bulbapedia, there is only one listed outcome of each move; yet, I've managed to find various outcomes with Move #167, including the most desirable effect (a powerful draining move). Are these moves really as "set in stone" as Bulbapedia made them out to be or no?

Re: Are Super Glitch Moves Random Outcomes?

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2017-07-31 16:50:32
They aren't though the title of your topic is misleading : their behavior can be controlled. Without any complex manipulations.

Posted by: camper
Date: 2017-08-01 00:41:23
The move only has one effect - deal damage while draining HP. All others are just caused by the name of the move.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2017-08-04 12:58:17
Yeah, if a 0x50 sub-tile was early on the saved screen data then the Super Glitch move can never cause noticeable corruption outside of its actual move effect.

From there it depends on whether the move effect is taken from RAM or not. (Some?) moves such as move 0x00 in Red/Blue do, hence can be used for arbitrary code execution or multiple effects.

Posted by: Caveat
Date: 2017-08-14 08:20:03
I've always wondered, are there Super Glitch moves whose names are never long enough to cause corruption?

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2017-08-14 09:55:14

I've always wondered, are there Super Glitch moves whose names are never long enough to cause corruption?
If they didn't cause corruption, they wouldn't be Super Glitch moves. xD

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2017-08-14 11:50:10
You can read this post by TZG on the behavior of Super Glitch corruptions.

As you will see, one super glitch move is guaranteed to corrupt (hex:A6) while one never does, but in old versions of VBA only (hex:A7).