Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Memory Corruption Hack. - Page 1

Memory Corruption Hack.

Posted by: ElectricPotato
Date: 2017-08-27 15:22:32
TheZZAZZGlitch has an ASM hack where you can sit back and let the game corrupt itself. I did some testing, and although I didn't get some of it on camera, you could:
-Get Shiny Pokemon
-Turn doors into random warps
-See glitch textboxes
AND MORE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHtXSTcCCJ8

Re: Memory Corruption Hack.

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2017-08-27 15:56:06
This is… old.
I first saw this in like 2010.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2017-08-29 07:28:57
Ecch, VBA.

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2017-08-30 06:45:10

Ecch, VBA.
EWW
GET IT AWAY
[size=12pt]KILL IT[/size]
[size=18pt]KILL IT[/size]

Date: 2017-08-30 20:13:14
Okay so I understand that VBA is not the greatest emulator, but I've used it for years, so I'm the most accustomed to it.

pliz no hate for vba

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2017-08-30 20:51:25
Yeah I feel it's not fair to bash VBA.

Sure it is inaccurate in various ways, but it mainly does things right (except for incorrect Echo RAM emulation on older versions and some other details relating to the hardware) and also has a convenient feature for recording videos.

It can be a little inaccurate for Pokémon Crystal however, in which graphical errors can occur for unknown reasons (maybe something to do with banked RAM?).

Posted by: camper
Date: 2017-08-30 23:58:55
It has no graphical issues in VBA-RR v21, but has glitched tiles during battles in v23 and v24. Not sure about VBA-M.

Date: 2017-09-01 17:47:51
The problem is that VBA is a bad emulator, and people still use it.
It's a bad AND dead project, it needs to be not used anymore - like Windows XP. I wouldn't bash Win XP because it's not as bad.

VBA is inaccurate af because it has several emulation errors (memory access timings, lack of support of several features, etc), some of which both make the system an inaccurate thing, but also makes playing with glitches either different (not always in a bad way, but it's an emulation artifact so it has no worth) or impossible (example : Dokokashira Door Glitch, impossible to use because of a lack of Echo RAM).
Also, it lacks SRAM locking, meaning your save has much more chances to be corrupted on VBA, for example. Some of these issues are problematic to the player, I'm not looking for small bugs.

Now, even BGB had these issues. Problem is, VBA is a dead project. Yet it's still massively used, even though good alternatives exist. VBA-M keeps most of the interface (90% at worst), but is already MUCH better. If you want better stuff and you're ready to change, get BizHawk, Gambatte, RetroArch even. If you want to do technical stuff, use BGB.

So yeah, I'll keep bashing VBA as long as I see people use it. tl;dr : because it's crap, and worse, unmaintained, non-updated, dead crap, and worser, there are good alternatives.

(@Torchickens : Oh god no, VBA does only so many things right. But it does enough that it "works okay".). For the recording, you can use BizHawk (AND you won't have any pesky audio syncing issues ! And if you're okay with the emulator going at 10 fps you can even add an overlay :p), or any screen recorder.

Posted by: camper
Date: 2017-09-02 05:58:01
Any screen recorder you recommend that records sound as well and is FREE?

But even then, screen recorder won't pause when you switch windows. You either have to record the whole thing in one go, or you have to edit the video afterwards.

Date: 2017-09-02 14:02:35
Okay, thanks Torchickens. I understand VBA is terrible for glitching, and the numerous emulation errors get in the way, but I am still new to glitching pokemon gen 1 and 2. I dont think emulation errors will effect me.

If you are looking for a screen recorder, use OBS. Completely free and will help you out when you are stuck. Don't just exit using the x button tho.

Date: 2017-09-04 04:22:48
Well the biggest issue with VBA is that its emulation errors actually get in the way of glitching, the largest culprit being the lack of Echo RAM emulation.

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2017-09-04 04:43:50
If I can add something about this.

I've learned GB emulation through VBA and for long, I had difficulties in dropping it because it is, by far, the most accessible and easy to use emulator for newbies. In a certain way, people with knowledge in programming often don't realize how it is for newbies to deal with complex functions. BGB's debugger is powerful in so many ways, but it's clearly not appealing for people who don't know what an opcode is, and let's be frank - you don't need those functions if you just want to change or follow the value of a RAM address in order to perform whatever you want.

Because of this, while ISSOtm and Haxel told me repeatedly not to, I always wanted to keep VBA for download at PRAMA. However, I now feel that this was a mistake, for several reasons. The 'original' version of VBA has indeed a terrible emulation and, research-wise, some behaviour that you think is the discovery of an in-game glitch will just be related to it. Thus, regardless of how BGB is useful for code execution, the problem with Echo RAM in VBA makes it unable to perform thorough ACE tests.

But the main issue is that VBA has a major flaw which can allow someone to execute code ON YOUR PC. I feel bad that people could get screwed with a software that they downloaded on my website. As far as I know, this flaw cannot be used in VBA-M.

I'm just saying this but, if you don't want to jump to a complicated emulator like BGB (even now that I've learned how to use it, it has things that still makes me mad) you may want to use VBA-M which is very similar and just requires a bit of adaptation to find your usual functions. But, on a much larger scale, you should experiment using BGB and make a (slow) transition to it. The faster the better in fact, because VBA's savestates are not compatible with BGB so it's best if you don't have many yet :)

Date: 2017-09-04 12:39:41
There's also Gambatte, whose accuracy is on par with BGB's. There's the standalone version (very light, btw), and it's packaged in BizHawk's defaults. (I promote BizHawk because it packs a bunch of accurate emulators, though I agree it doesn't have a terrible UI)

Posted by: Charmy
Date: 2017-09-09 03:55:10
It's a bit like me, before I found out about BGB, I was using VBA, but now I understand VBA is absolute crap for GB(C) emulation

Date: 2017-09-09 14:46:26
Love your gif signature.