Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Seemingly unprovoked audio glitch - Page 1

Seemingly unprovoked audio glitch

Posted by: xtreme713ify
Date: 2017-09-20 00:39:18
I'm playing Pokemon Red at the moment, and for some reason when Gary sent out his Abra, Gastly's cry was played. This isn't the first time this has happened I just happened to have the page open. Why does this happen?

Re: Seemingly unprovoked audio glitch

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2017-09-20 03:27:39

I'm playing Pokemon Red at the moment, and for some reason when Gary sent out his Abra, Gastly's cry was played. This isn't the first time this has happened I just happened to have the page open. Why does this happen?

If this happened when your Pokémon was on low HP this is a known occurrence. Pokémon cries are stored in the format base, pitch, length, and out of the 151 Pokémon there are a limited number of base cries (only 38).

When the Pokémon is sent out when red bar sound is active it appears that the pitch is set to 0, hence some Pokémon can sound like other Pokémon when you're on low HP.

Exploiting 'redbar' is also a known technique in speedrunning.

I have more information about this here:
https://pastebin.com/gM5dEu28

Hope this helps :)

Posted by: xtreme713ify
Date: 2017-09-22 12:24:26
Oh alright, thanks!

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2017-09-22 12:30:50

Oh alright, thanks!

Anytime. :)