Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Fully unlocked map/content starting from a brand new savefile - Page 1

Fully unlocked map/content starting from a brand new savefile

Posted by: RashFaustinho
Date: 2017-10-06 08:55:58
For Pokemon Red and Blue (US Version)

Hi!
Pokemon Glitches are wonderful, and it's really interesting to see them.
However, there is a major problem, or at least i have one: A lot of the glitches require you to actually play the game, or at least beat the majority of it.
Now, I know this sounds foregone, but this is actually a big deal for whoever starts a new game from scratch, and doesn't want to waste time with a game he has already beaten thousands of times.

Let's think to the most famous glitch: Missingno. Before encountering him, you have to reach Cinnabar Island. That place is actually really close to end-game.

Now I know that today's emulators can import savegames, and you can witness a lot of the glitches pretty quickly, and that's what i've done in the past. But I was wondering… Considering the stunning amount of glitches and ACE exploits this game has, isn't there a way to glitch your way throught it, and get access to most of the content without actually playing it?

We witnessed people reaching the Hall of Fame just right from the start of the game,. That's impressive, but this doesn't give you a proper Pokemon party, doesn't unlock all cities and ends with an overflowed item inventory, so really the whole thing is just for looking at the credits, but it's far from being in a playable state.

So, here there are my questions:
Starting from a brand-new savefile, what are the quickest ways to:

1) The first and most important: Get a Pokemon with Fly (or an item that allows you to do that) and get access to all cities on the fly board (without visiting them first)
Is that even possible? Basically, what i'm asking is the quickest way to unlock the whole map and being able to free-roam it.

2) Getting an item or any other glitch that allows one to skip trainer battles.
We're in a brand new savefile, that means, the map is crowded with people that wants to fight you. That's a huge problem, and you're likely to be interrupted pretty often because of long-rage trainers.
Brock Through Walls sounds nice but can't be carried forever, or inside places like gyms for example.

3) Getting 8F and the required party for bootstrap code
8F can really come in handy as cheating tool to do… well… pretty much everything. It gives you access to all of the items and you can get all the Pokemons in short time.

With these 3 steps satisfied, I think that most of the game's content can be accessed.

Do you think is it possible to do all that in a short amount of time?

Save corruption glitches are allowed, but after abusing them, there has to be a way to revert the side-effects of the corruption (like the massive pokemon party) otherwise the game will be unplayable.

Re: Fully unlocked map/content starting from a brand new savefile

Posted by: Nostalgia
Date: 2017-10-06 09:06:46

Let's think to the most famous glitch: Missingno. Before encountering him, you have to reach Cinnabar Island. That place is actually really close to end-game.

You can encounter Missingno much earlier then Cinnabar. Also reaching Cinnabar is not ''really close to end-game'', all you need to get to Cinnabar is Surf. So you can either speedrun through the game until you get to Fuchsia city and get surf from the Safari Zone and beat Koga, or you can do the brock through walls glitch and get to the Safari Zone straight away and beat Koga and Surf to Cinnabar.

Re: Fully unlocked map/content starting from a brand new savefile

Posted by: RashFaustinho
Date: 2017-10-06 09:18:01

You can encounter Missingno much earlier then Cinnabar. Also reaching Cinnabar is not ''really close to end-game'', all you need to get to Cinnabar is Surf. So you can either speedrun through the game until you get to Fuchsia city and get surf from the Safari Zone and beat Koga, or you can do the brock through walls glitch and get to the Safari Zone straight away and beat Koga and Surf to Cinnabar.

Missingno was more an example. The point is being able to access to most of the game's pokemons & maps in a short amount of time. I was wondering if it's even possible.

Also, while the Brock Through Walls is a reasonable way to get to Cinnabar Island quickly, beating 4 gym trainers and getting to Koga just for surf is not. Wasn't there a glitch item that acted like a surf-board? Wouldn't it be better to get that one?