Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

PCEnemy item - Page 1

PCEnemy item

Posted by: TheAwesomer
Date: 2017-11-14 11:45:21
I just found that the PCEnemy item, when used in battle, causes the TMTRAINER effect. Just a heads up. Possibly usable for ACE?

Re: PCEnemy item

Date: 2017-11-14 11:50:18
Also, I dont know if its with this specific item, but the TMTRAINER effect does not seem to actually count as a KO in trainer battles

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2017-11-14 12:00:34
Hi TheAwesomer.

This effect is known and doesn't cause arbitrary code execution. Thanks for your post though!  :)

Many items in Pokémon Red and Blue do this. These are indicated as unterminated name glitch items on the ItemDex index.

When you open the items menu you save a copy of the screen. Then when you press A on the item its unterminated name is loaded into memory. Since there is no 0x50 terminator the game copies more than 20 bytes to the other buffer, causing memory corruption (buffer overflow).

I think I know what you mean with it not counting as a KO too. I've noticed that in trainer battles the opponent will keep sending out the Pokémon that just fainted after the TMTRAINER effect.

Date: 2017-11-14 12:06:15
Ah yes, I figured. I just wasnt sure if the community knew that that item also causes TMTRAINER effect. I am new here you see, but I have done alot of research and glitching myself and I know a fair bit about it. Also I found that this address controls your opponent's current pokemon: DD80, although it appears to work of its own accord but has worked before for me. If you notice also, the amount of pokemon they have (the 6 pokeball display inbetween sending out pokemon) also doesn't decrease.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2017-11-14 12:18:01

Ah yes, I figured. I just wasnt sure if the community knew that that item also causes TMTRAINER effect. I am new here you see, but I have done alot of research and glitching myself and I know a fair bit about it. Also I found that this address controls your opponent's current pokemon: DD80, although it appears to work of its own accord but has worked before for me. If you notice also, the amount of pokemon they have (the 6 pokeball display inbetween sending out pokemon) also doesn't decrease.

Interesting, thanks!

Date: 2017-11-14 12:18:31
No problem ;)