Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Fake Glitches? - Page 1

Fake Glitches?

Posted by: Pokedude
Date: 2017-11-29 23:21:54
So almost all of us probably know about "Fake" glitches
such as Catching Arceus in Red/Blue/Yellow or Buried Alive
but are they really real? The point of this topic is to one tell us any other "fake" glitches that you have heard of and two: to research if any of these supposed "fake" glitches are actually real. I just figured that this would be intriguing and possibly surprising.
Note: I'm not talking about using an Action Replay to make them real so please don't post that there real when you really just used a game shark, action replay, or game genie.

Re: Fake Glitches?

Posted by: 0ErrorYT
Date: 2017-11-30 17:25:27
The Arceus one, (and all other non-gen1 Pokemon/glitchmons) are a ROM hack/8F ACE of some sort. Same with BURIEDALIVE, and most fake glitches. It's easy to tell if glitch videos are fake/8Fed by either testing it yourself or sometimes the videos are obviously fake enough to tell without testing.

Date: 2017-11-30 23:48:51
Yah I know. I just thought it would be fun to discuss all the dumb fake stuff people make up. Like Wally's dying? Really? That would never happen in a way that made the player feel bad do to all the people who would take it to seriously and hurt themselves for it. So most of this will be just fun glitch gossip. :-)

Date: 2018-01-03 14:52:51
One popular Fake Glitch which is obviously a creepypasta that is really kind of cheesy so it must be creepy Mac n Cheese is Buried Alive. Now I could believe this would be in a Japanese copy of the games but in the west? No way!
Think of the changes made to Earthbound between Japan and America. Like in America Ness wore clothes to bed and instead of people getting drunk on beer they get drunk on Espressos in America. Of course it isn't real cause its a creepypasta spawn but that's how it would be real if it was at all.
"Do you believe in ghosts?  Yes/No "
No " Oh so that white hand on your shoulder, it isn't real."
Lavender Town is a dangerous place.
Lavender town syndrome.

Date: 2018-01-18 17:41:12
Is this just stupid?

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2018-01-18 22:19:29

Lavender town syndrome.

One of the worst fanfics/creepypastas I've ever read.

There are also plenty of different "glitches/tricks" to get into the grass field beside Pallet Town and capture all the totally real Pokegods therein.

Posted by: 0ErrorYT
Date: 2018-01-18 22:21:35

Lavender town syndrome.

One of the worst fanfics/creepypastas I've ever read.

There are also plenty of different "glitches/tricks" to get into the grass field beside Pallet Town and capture all the totally real Pokegods therein.

Yeah. It totally doesn't cause a warp to map FF and crash the game. Everyone break out your gamesharks!

Date: 2018-01-21 22:42:18
Thanks for posting! I agree that it is a horrible Fanfic that sucks but that what this is all about!

EDIT: 02/01/2018: Sorry I ment Fanfic. Stupid auto correct!  :XD: >:(

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2018-06-08 19:59:10
Back in my day, this would have been someone on the playground telling me how you could fight Officer Jenny in Red by opening up the cartridge and turning the circuit board over.

Posted by: shaggs
Date: 2018-06-08 23:35:22
I remember back when I was in 3rd grade when G/S was still fresh
it was a common agreement between me and all my friends that
if you saw a patch of grass shaking that it was Celebi, and that seeing
it was a 1 in a million chance. Obviously it's not true but it's one of my
fond memories of a time with all the mystery, and R/S was still a year away

Posted by: Searinox
Date: 2018-06-11 16:02:49
I'd actually like to know if there are any viable save file forms of corruption that result in the game not being able to take you even as far as the up+select+B menu to erase all data, thereby making the cartridge completely unplayable unless you physically open it up and short out the SRAM battery to purge the data. There are anecdotal reports here and there of people corrupting their save to a point where they couldn't use their gamecart anymore. A number of these are creepypasta styled and the person concludes that they "glitched their game so bad it became physically damaged" and it could have been this, if at all possible.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2018-06-12 05:41:01
No, Up+Select+B occurs before the game reads any of SRAM.

Posted by: Duelist Of Roses
Date: 2018-06-29 17:22:57
It kind of depends. Anything is possible with ACE as long as you have enough memory and know how to do it. So using ACE you could create code that mimics Creepypasta like Buried Alive. Buried Alive is a Creepypasta and not a "fake glitch". However, fake glitches to fight it do exist. The mew under the truck is a well-known fake glitch. It has been proven to be fake by many. The reasons it is fake is because you cannot use Strength on the truck in any official non-hacked Pokemon games as it is just a simple object with no Field Move code pertaining to it. Also, by using glitches or Walk Through Walls codes you can access the truck. You move through it like anything else (with Walk Through Walls codes and glitches only) and there is nothing you can interact with near it. In later games, there is an Easter Egg where a lava cookie is hidden under it. However, there was never a mew. The only way to do it is with ACE. Other popular fake glitches are Pikablu glitches. Pikablu is simply the fan-name given to Marill before its official English name was released. Even if Pikablu was real in Gen 1 games, it would just be a Marill with absolutely no other uses. Pokemon Creepy Black only exists as a ROM hack and a Creepypasta. In The ROM hack, it pretty limited. Most of the game is blocked off permanently and no text changes for Pokemon fainting exist despite the various references of Pokemon "dying" instead of fainting. Also, if you cheat to get to Lavender Town. The Pokemon Tower will not have any "Ghost Trainers" like the Creepypasta says. It only really contains the "Ghost" Pokemon mentioned and dialogue changes. It is less creepy and more comedic with Oak telling you he is tired of Tutorials and Gary swearing at you. If you want to know some fake glitches I have heard of that I haven't mentioned, then I will tell you some. One person said that there was a glitch to catch Pokemon almost every time. I was intrigued until I realized that they were just explaining how to use a Pokeball. Another was that if you said a made up word, it would guarantee a catch. The Old Man's Garden was a pretty common topic for fake glitches. I found many on Illogipedia. You can actually use Walk Through Walls cheats to access it. However, nothing is there except an empty square of land. Nothing to do with or without the cheat enabled. Another fake glitch I found involved beating the Pokemon League without talking to anyone except Nurse Joy and the guards. I had to register an account just so I could tell him that you cannot battle the Elite Four without talking to them.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2018-06-29 18:56:57
Most of what you said there is already known.

Also, mind putting a line break or two, please? It's kind of straining to read an entire blob and losing track all the time…

Date: 2018-07-09 22:04:09
Wow…..holy moly I've been gone for a while and look how this just got bigger!
Thanks….
BTW Sherkel…

Back in my day, this would have been someone on the playground telling me how you could fight Officer Jenny in Red by opening up the cartridge and turning the circuit board over.

Um…. I think you can do that by fighting a cloyster with a onix. Lmao
Also I think that the whole Onix,Cloyster theory is stupid.