Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Just had some kind of glitch happen with Mimic - Page 1

Just had some kind of glitch happen with Mimic

Posted by: Whimsical
Date: 2017-12-16 15:58:17
Was fighting Agatha with an Eevee (moveset is Double-Edge, Bite, Mimic, Body Slam), and had it lead with Mimic to get a move that it can hit Ghosts with. Agatha switched out her lead Gengar with her Golbat, so I copied Wing Attack from it. Then (I think) I noticed it was copied over slot 2 instead of slot 3 (or maybe I noticed Mimic in slot 2, I don't exactly recall), and used it to get a second copy of Wing Attack on the Eevee (it also might have been that I used Wing Attack and it brought up the copy window again). Sorry for not remembering exactly what happened. Does anyone know what happened in that situation or is this something new?

Re: Just had some kind of glitch happen with Mimic

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2017-12-16 16:01:52
Not sure but it sounds like that might be new. I'll look into it. Thanks! :)

Date: 2017-12-16 16:33:11
Two other details I forgot to mention. The Golbat used Haze, and its sprite disappeared (I don't remember if that was before or after the Haze though)

Date: 2017-12-16 16:53:03
Ok, just managed to do it again and did some experimenting. The glitch appears to happen when using Mimic on the same turn the opponent switches out their Pokemon, and Mimic is used on the newly switched in Pokemon. When this happens Mimic will copy a move into the 2nd move slot, regardless of Mimic's actual position, and will use that Move's PP (i.e. the PP of the move that was originally in the second slot) for the PP of the copied move. It also causes the opponent's sprite to disappear.

Posted by: Mefista
Date: 2017-12-16 23:18:26
Ooh, this happened to me once! I freaked out and reloaded tho…

Posted by: Crystal_
Date: 2017-12-17 07:49:20
Interesting, first time I've heard about this one.

It's actually two separate bugs in fact. The sprite hiding one is due to the game calling LoadScreenTilesFromBuffer1 in the mimic function despite the fact that the last time tiles were saved was at the beginning of a turn, so if the mimic user goes last, the screen will be restored to how it was at the beginning of the turn. This will more often turn out like, if you lost health to an attack, you will see the HUD and HP bar with the health you originally had at the beginning of the turn for a moment, until the HUD is properly drawn again. Notice also how, when the switch is also involved, the enemy's HUD becomes that of the old pokemon for a moment as well, which is indicative of when was the last time tiles were saved during the switch enemy function.

The slot mismatch one is due to https://github.com/pret/pokered/blob/master/engine/battle/core.asm#L1454 setting current menu item to 1, thus losing the original value from when you selected mimic. Too bad, I was hoping it would be possible to manipulate somehow. The only remotely useful trick I can think of is to use a Pokemon that only knows mimic to have it learn the cooltrainer move similarly to how you'd do with the Ditto transform glitch. And well, the fact that you can use this to mimic four moves at the same time, by repeteadly swapping the mimiced move in the second position out of it with the select button in the battle menu. Even though mimic works differently in link battles (the move you get is random rather than selectable), you should still be able to do this to use mimic multiple times at once.

Edit: My bad, it's a non-link battle only thing, because the mimic effect during link battles doesn't read from wCurrentMenuItem.

Posted by: Spoink
Date: 2017-12-17 08:36:22
Could this possibly be used for PP underflow with a no-PP move? I don't think it's that plausble but it's worth a try.