Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Glitch world of POKaMON! - Page 1

Glitch world of POKaMON!

Posted by: MarcinTVP8
Date: 2017-12-29 10:20:34
I found a way to glitch out your in-game starting location, your name, your party, your items, and options in the indrouction screen.
1. Make sure you have a german and english rom of Pokemon Yellow.
2. Load the german ROM.
3. During an animation in the indrouction screen (when text isn't onscreen), load the english ROM.
Result: You will start the game in an location chosen by the moment you loaded the english ROM (if you end up indoors, the glitched warps will lead you to a OOB glitch city), all text that refers to POKeMON will be switched to POKaMON. You'll start with a party of over 60 Pokemon (5 visible), a blank name, and with no items. All text will load on the slowest speed, and you can fix that i the options. You will have a huge amount of items in the PC, these will help you. Now here's the challenge: Try completing the game in that state (ACE is a must!). Good luck!  :)

Re: Glitch world of POKaMON!

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2017-12-29 11:26:43
This is because the data structures are different between the versions. You're merely shifting the data that is loaded down the ROM to unrelated areas.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2017-12-29 17:36:19
Sounds fun! Does this use BGB Debugger's "load ROM without reset" option or is this accessed in a different way?

Date: 2017-12-30 06:08:53
Yes, it does. By the way, I found a in-game method to enter the POKaMON world.
1. Load a save file in the german ROM.
2. Enter a door. Just ANY door in the game.
3. While the transition when entering a door is underway, load the English ROM without reset.
The location you'll end up and the game data will be decided by the contents of the save you loaded. I doubt if this is even possible with an arbitary-code execution item.

Posted by: Couldntthinkofaname
Date: 2017-12-30 09:07:43
Well, yeah. As Parzival mentioned earlier, this is caused by data structures not being the same across ROMs.

I doubt if this is even possible with an arbitary-code execution item.

Yes it is. Anything the game is capable of doing can be done with ACE

Date: 2017-12-30 14:58:59
By the way, I found another, the simplest method to enter the POKaMON world.
1. In the german ROM, enter the Pokedex by a manu option (not by the item)
2. When the Pokedex menu appears, load the english ROM without reset.
3. Exit the Pokedex (DO NOT CHOOSE THE PRINT OPTION, OR THE GAME WILL CRASH!)
Again, the location you'll end up and game data is dependent on the contents of the save (the location could be chosen by the trainer ID, but I'm not sure).

Date: 2018-01-23 13:28:26
I'm updating this thread with the easiest overworld method. It doesn't even require the Pokedex!
You just need to open the Options screen in the german ROM, load the english ROM without reset when you're there!
And you get 2 nice hex 00 Pokemon so you have a good start.
I'm still finding a battle method, so keep tuned!