Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Best way to get glitch Pokemon in Japanese Red? - Page 1

Best way to get glitch Pokemon in Japanese Red?

Posted by: MewFlare
Date: 2018-03-13 10:33:43
According to my research, the old man glitch does not work in Red/Green and the Mew glitch will only get me Pokemon with the index numbers 190-199 (provided they don't crash or freeze upon encounter), any reliable method to get the glitches with index numbers 200-255? Of course there's the fossil conversion glitch, but that may be quite tedious to do with 55 Pokemon (not to mention I've got a few questions about that whole process). I don't have any Japanese Generation 2 games, so the Johto guard glitch is out. Also, I'd like to mention that I am on cartridge. No emulators for me :/

I'd like to do research on glitch Pokemon in the Japanese games, document my findings, and possibly add them to the "international" portion of the GlitchDex since that section is tiny right now. Of course, what I find may not be consistent with what others may find but every little bit helps, no? :) If anyone wants me to share my research notes in the future, feel free to let me know.

Re: Best way to get glitch Pokemon in Japanese Red?

Posted by: metalmario32
Date: 2018-05-27 15:05:52

According to my research, the old man glitch does not work in Red/Green and the Mew glitch will only get me Pokemon with the index numbers 190-199 (provided they don't crash or freeze upon encounter), any reliable method to get the glitches with index numbers 200-255? Of course there's the fossil conversion glitch, but that may be quite tedious to do with 55 Pokemon (not to mention I've got a few questions about that whole process). I don't have any Japanese Generation 2 games, so the Johto guard glitch is out. Also, I'd like to mention that I am on cartridge. No emulators for me :/

I'd like to do research on glitch Pokemon in the Japanese games, document my findings, and possibly add them to the "international" portion of the GlitchDex since that section is tiny right now. Of course, what I find may not be consistent with what others may find but every little bit helps, no? :) If anyone wants me to share my research notes in the future, feel free to let me know.

Well, the old man glitch does work, but MissingNo, if I remember correctly, freezes the game. (If the old man glitch didn't work, ACE items like "tehe", or hex:7B, wouldn't be able to execute arbitrary code) Also, I can help you with the Japanese fossil conversion glitch if you like. Feel free to PM me.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2018-05-27 16:05:12

Well, the old man glitch does work, but MissingNo, if I remember correctly, freezes the game. (If the old man glitch didn't work, ACE items like "tehe", or hex:7B, wouldn't be able to execute arbitrary code) Also, I can help you with the Japanese fossil conversion glitch if you like. Feel free to PM me.

Actually this isn't entirely true. The old man trick doesn't work in any of the Japanese versions, although Japanese MissingNo. (non-Fossil/Ghost-form) does freeze the game but only in Japanese Red/Green and Yellow. You can still do item duplication with Fossil MissingNo./Ghost from the Ditto trick. However often easier, in Japanese Red/Green/Blue item duplication can be achieved with Cooltrainer to catch MissingNo. (open the Pokémon menu in battle without flipped sprites, before viewing the blank move) or the Select glitch (see here).

What the old man does is copy your name into encounter data (which is done in the Japanese versions too), but the encounter rate is replaced with 00, disabling any encounters. English (and French/German, Spanish/Italian (the latter two by walking on the coast instead of Surfing)) while getting encounters on the 'left-facing shore tiles' however load the water encounter rate with the grass encounter list, bypassing the 00 encounter rate problem. The Japanese versions has a different shore tile behavior that causes the old man trick not to work.

Posted by: Hexatendo
Date: 2018-05-27 20:22:21
Funny you should ask that at this time period. Entirely coincidental that right below my post about using debug crystal, I saw someone needing help on how to get Japanese glitch Pokemon. I think using Crystal's debug menu might be the best option, as it's very similar to the Johto Guard Glitch. For more info, see my post.

Edit: oops, I didn't see that you don't have the gen 2 games. Oh, well, time to do more investigating myself.

Posted by: metalmario32
Date: 2018-05-28 08:05:26

Actually this isn't entirely true. The old man trick doesn't work in any of the Japanese versions, although Japanese MissingNo. (non-Fossil/Ghost-form) does freeze the game but only in Japanese Red/Green and Yellow. You can still do item duplication with Fossil MissingNo./Ghost from the Ditto trick. However often easier, in Japanese Red/Green/Blue item duplication can be achieved with Cooltrainer to catch MissingNo. (open the Pokémon menu in battle without flipped sprites, before viewing the blank move) or the Select glitch (see here).

What the old man does is copy your name into encounter data (which is done in the Japanese versions too), but the encounter rate is replaced with 00, disabling any encounters. English (and French/German, Spanish/Italian (the latter two by walking on the coast instead of Surfing)) while getting encounters on the 'left-facing shore tiles' however load the water encounter rate with the grass encounter list, bypassing the 00 encounter rate problem. The Japanese versions has a different shore tile behavior that causes the old man trick not to work.

Thanks for the clarification Torchickens. I'm not too acquitted with Japanese games, so thank you for the information. Why would the encounter rates be replaced with 00 though? Also why does this not happen with the English and European remakes?