Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Best settings for BGB emulator for glitches - Page 1

Best settings for BGB emulator for glitches

Posted by: etoile
Date: 2018-04-11 09:40:46
I'm kind of a glitching newbie, and have been fooling around with glitches in Pokemon Blue emulated via BGB. The problem I'm encountering is that nearly 100% of the time, instead of achieving the desired glitch, the game crashes. Is this due to incorrect performance of a glitch, or are there certain settings on the BGB emulator that make glitches easier to perform/the game less likely to crash?

Re: Best settings for BGB emulator for glitches

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2018-04-11 10:49:08

I'm kind of a glitching newbie, and have been fooling around with glitches in Pokemon Blue emulated via BGB. The problem I'm encountering is that nearly 100% of the time, instead of achieving the desired glitch, the game crashes. Is this due to incorrect performance of a glitch, or are there certain settings on the BGB emulator that make glitches easier to perform/the game less likely to crash?

That's odd (BGB is quite accurate and you shouldn't need to change any settings most of the time), though a lot of glitches are quite specific. Which glitches are you attempting?

Date: 2018-04-11 10:57:37

That's odd (BGB is quite accurate and you shouldn't need to change any settings most of the time), though a lot of glitches are quite specific. Which glitches are you attempting?

[font=verdana][size=2]It might be more that I'm impatient and don't like playing through the game proper to get to the glitches so I just edit RAM and such directly, but I did legitimately attempt the "walk through walls to fight pokemon before obtaining a pokemon" glitch and it only ever crashed.[/size][/font]

Date: 2018-04-11 11:32:09

[font=verdana][size=2]It might be more that I'm impatient and don't like playing through the game proper to get to the glitches so I just edit RAM and such directly, but I did legitimately attempt the "walk through walls to fight pokemon before obtaining a pokemon" glitch and it only ever crashed.[/size][/font]

Hmm. In Red and Blue battling with 0 Pokémon causes a freeze after the battle (unless you are in Diglett's Cave) which doesn't occur in Yellow, so that could explain why if the freeze occurred then.

If your Pokémon has move 0 as its first move (or a Super Glitch move in any slot 1-4) and the freeze occurred after choosing to fight, that could also be responsible as viewing it can cause corruption that freezes the game without the proper setup.

Date: 2018-04-11 11:49:18

Hmm. In Red and Blue battling with 0 Pokémon causes a freeze after the battle (unless you are in Diglett's Cave) which doesn't occur in Yellow, so that could explain why if the freeze occurred then.

If your Pokémon has move 0 as its first move (or a Super Glitch move in any slot 1-4) and the freeze occurred after choosing to fight, that could also be responsible as viewing it can cause corruption that freezes the game without the proper setup.

That sounds like it might be part of the problem! Unfortunately, the crash happens the moment I open the fight menu.

What would be the proper setup?

Date: 2018-04-11 12:21:29

That sounds like it might be part of the problem! Unfortunately, the crash happens the moment I open the fight menu.

What would be the proper setup?

The easiest solution is if you open the Pokémon menu just before viewing the Fight menu (all within battle), then the corruption shouldn't freeze the game due to a hidden 0x50 sub-tile (which the game interprets as the end of the move's name basically) on the battle screen. However you may still get the TMTRAINER effect and a freeze after the battle ends (unless you're in Diglett's Cave).

The corruption can be avoided entirely in Red/Blue by having the 0x50 sub-tile early on the screen (towards the top preferably as close to the top-left corner as possible) and opening the Pokémon or items menu before battle, but can be awkward to pull off unless you're at a place such as Route 1. (Note this method does not work in Yellow)

0150A0C3 will also place it at the top-left corner of the screen for you, but you still have to flash the Pokémon menu in battle with this code enabled (works in Red/Blue/Yellow).

Hope that helps. :)

Date: 2018-04-11 13:28:19

The easiest solution is if you open the Pokémon menu just before viewing the Fight menu (all within battle), then the corruption shouldn't freeze the game due to a hidden 0x50 sub-tile (which the game interprets as the end of the move's name basically) on the battle screen. However you may still get the TMTRAINER effect and a freeze after the battle ends (unless you're in Diglett's Cave).

The corruption can be avoided entirely in Red/Blue by having the 0x50 sub-tile early on the screen (towards the top preferably as close to the top-left corner as possible) and opening the Pokémon or items menu before battle, but can be awkward to pull off unless you're at a place such as Route 1. (Note this method does not work in Yellow)

0150A0C3 will also place it at the top-left corner of the screen for you, but you still have to flash the Pokémon menu in battle with this code enabled (works in Red/Blue/Yellow).

Hope that helps. :)

Awesome! Thank you!!

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2018-04-11 16:35:58
BGB is one of the most accurate GB emulators out there, so, as a general rule, if a crash happens on BGB but didn't on other emulators, BGB got it right. It does have some emulation issues, but they are extremely few, and beware has been squashing more and more of them.

Date: 2018-04-12 07:55:52

BGB is one of the most accurate GB emulators out there, so, as a general rule, if a crash happens on BGB but didn't on other emulators, BGB got it right. It does have some emulation issues, but they are extremely few, and beware has been squashing more and more of them.

I care less about emulation accuracy than how much I can glitch up the game and have it keep running. :>