Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

New Pokemon Yellow Softlock? - Page 1

New Pokemon Yellow Softlock?

Posted by: Nackles42
Date: 2018-04-29 11:14:17
https://youtu.be/pMXmFeP0VVw

Detailed in the video, I softlocked after trying to Masterball a MissingNo. in an attempt to duplicate a second item. The Masterball would not stop wiggling, and seemingly, there isn't an end to this. If there is, it's probably followed by a crash, but idk. If anyone has any reasoning as to why this occurs, that would be cool, because I sure don't.

EDIT: I also searched around a bit, and I could not find it documented anywhere else.

Re: New Pokemon Yellow Softlock?

Posted by: hpoké_coloradohugge
Date: 2018-04-29 14:49:16
This happened to me on cartridge last year on yellow aswell. not sure what causes it, but it def happened to me before. :O

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2018-04-29 16:31:02
I think I remember when you do the stable unstable MissingNo. trick (MissingNo. is first encounter with save file removed with Up+Select+B; does not work on some emulators but works on BGB) you can catch unstable MissingNo. with no ball rolls or something. I suspect then maybe something is corrupted from its sprite that affects the ball rolls and it's not always the same.

Posted by: Nackles42
Date: 2018-04-29 18:16:22
Hmm…. I was using VBA, and it definitely was not the first time I had encountered MissingNo. or other glitch Pokemon (I caught a 4 4Hy and evolved it into Q, for instance). I had definitely saved and reset prior to this. I tried waiting it out, nothing seemed to happen after 255 shakes, so…. I really got nothing on this one. Maybe something would happen after I waited for another number of shakes (65535, for instance) but I have not tried yet, and I doubt it would provide anything other than a crash. Oh well.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2018-04-29 22:13:56
Here's what should happen:

Finally, and using that parameter, the game plays the ball toss animation.

This ends up in the special handler, which first plays the corresponding toss sub-animation, then sub-anims from this sequence.

I haven't looked into the rest much more than finding the ball-shake function.