Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Looking for a Shinyzer Code for Pokémon Yellow JPN - Page 1

Looking for a Shinyzer Code for Pokémon Yellow JPN

Posted by: metalmario32
Date: 2018-05-24 18:58:27
I'm new to the forums here at GCL, but I do know somewhat about glitching and I know about the FalconBadge in Yellow v1.1+ JPN, which executes code from the ninth PC item. Is there a possibility to make a code that turns your first boxed Pokémon shiny? I'm not too familiar with the memory offsets for the Japanese versions of the Gen I games. Also, sorry if this isn't the right forum to post this in.

Re: Looking for a Shinyzer Code for Pokémon Yellow JPN

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2018-05-25 17:58:49

I'm new to the forums here at GCL, but I do know somewhat about glitching and I know about the FalconBadge in Yellow v1.1+ JPN, which executes code from the ninth PC item. Is there a possibility to make a code that turns your first boxed Pokémon shiny? I'm not too familiar with the memory offsets for the Japanese versions of the Gen I games. Also, sorry if this isn't the right forum to post this in.

Sure!

In Japanese Red/Green/Blue/Yellow, stored Pokémon data begins at address 0xD9B2.

The Attack/Defense DVs of the first Pokémon are at 0xD9ED and the Speed/Special DVs of the first Pokémon are at 0xD9EE. In order for that Pokémon to be Shiny when traded to Generation II it must have an Attack DV of 2, 3, 6, 7, A (10), B (11), E (14), or F (15), and have all other IVs at A (10).

For a Shiny Pokémon with the best possible DVs you'll want 15 Attack DVs and 10 DVs in everything else. These are represented as 0xFA in 0xD9ED and 0xAA in 0xD9EE, but this Pokémon unless Chansey will always be male, so if a Pokémon was originally female and you want to keep it as that/if you want a female Shiny let me know what DVs you'll need and I'll post a code (however the Pokémon who are 87.5% male can't be a female Shiny sadly).

As you said, FalconBadge in Japanese Yellow v1.1+ executes PC item 9 specifically 0xD4CA in WRAM.

Try the following:

1: Any Item x Any
2: Any Item x Any
3: Any Item x Any
4: Any Item x Any
5: Any Item x Any
6: Any Item x Any
7: Any Item x Any
8: Any Item x Any
9:  Carbos x 217 (26 D9 ; ld h,D9)
10: X Accuracy x 237 (2E ED ; ld l,ED)
11: Lemonade x 250 (3E FA ; ld a,FA)
12: Water Stone x 62 (22 3E ; ldi (hl),a (…))
13: TM02 x 214 (CA D6; ld a,CA (…)
14: Fire Stone x 34 (20 22 ; sub a,20 ; ldi (hl),a)
15: TM01 x any (C9 xx)

Hope this helps :)

You can duplicate items in Japanese Yellow with a Fossil MissingNo. (hex: B6/B7) [Special 182/183 for Ditto trick] or Ghost (hex:B8) [Special 184 for Ditto trick]. The only trouble is you'd have to encounter it a minimum of four times which is quite a lot.

While dry underflow glitch works, Celadon looping map trick doesn't in Japanese versions sadly due to the memory structure meaning the x-position is an item and the y-position is a quantity, but theoretically you could make a Cycling Road high y-position glitch (which may require walk through walls because I remember in at least English versions, not sure about Japanese, high y-positions result in Glitch Cities, not looping maps unfortunately).

Re: Looking for a Shinyzer Code for Pokémon Yellow JPN

Posted by: metalmario32
Date: 2018-05-26 12:27:51
Thanks for the help! Also, couldn't you theoretically structure the code into two uses, for example changing 0xD9EE to AA (for Speed and Special DVs of 10) and then tossing an X Accuracy or something like that to change 0xD9ED to AA (for Attack and Defense IVs of 10) for a simpler code? I'm simply wondering.