Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

BGB Pokémon Yellow Super Game Boy emulation error - Page 1

BGB Pokémon Yellow Super Game Boy emulation error

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2018-06-20 11:32:34
When I erased my save file in Pokémon Yellow on (according to emulator) BGB version 1.5.5 and waited for the title screen to load again, I was greeted with a different, red palette for the "Pokémon Yellow Version" and "Pika!" text.

When I skipped the intro about half way through, it enabled a blue palette instead.

I later tried this on my physical SNES with Super Game Boy. I don't know much technically about the GB Tower modes, but might this apply to Pokémon Stadium 1 and 2 on a physical console?

Re: BGB Pokémon Yellow Super Game Boy emulation error

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2018-06-20 14:10:43
I wouldn't refer to Stadium for that, since it's just an emulator, not an alternative console like the SGB.
Did you replicate that on console, or no?

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2018-06-20 17:58:18
Oops I just realised I left my post incomplete, sorry.

Basically I tried the same on a physical Super Game Boy and the glitch did not occur.

I'm wondering whether the glitch occurs on Stadium as even if it's via an emulator it would still be an 'official' glitch if it works there.

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2018-06-20 19:09:01
The answer's probably obvious and I missed it, but was the palette loaded into RAM a different one than the intended one, or was it just displayed differently?

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2018-06-21 04:58:17

The answer's probably obvious and I missed it, but was the palette loaded into RAM a different one than the intended one, or was it just displayed differently?

That can be confirmed by going to BGB's VRAM viewer, in the Palette tab – all SGB palettes are displayed.?=
Another possibility is if the SGB color layout wasn't changed / is incorrect (refers to a wrong palette).

@Torchickens ^