Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Pokemon OOB Silhouette Scrolling Glitch - Page 1

Pokemon OOB Silhouette Scrolling Glitch

Posted by: Duelist Of Roses
Date: 2018-06-29 15:25:20
I found a glitch in Pokemon Yellow (US) that I do not think has been documented yet. It is a glitch that can happen out of bounds. [Disclaimer: I have not tested this outside of Pokemon Yellow (US) or outside an emulator. I only know that it works in Visual Boy Advance Emulator. Also, this glitch may cause unknown opcodes or the deletion of your save file] Sadly, this glitch does not work all the time. Here is how I did it:
First find a place where an out of bounds area is accessible. Second, activate the Walk Through Walls Gameshark code and the Move At Bicycle Speed Gameshark code (I do not know for sure if it works without it). Third, use your speed-up key-bind (emulator only) and move in one direction out of bound. If done correctly, you should see a black background with a green outline of the map scrolling in the direction you were moving. After it finishes it may do one of the following: freeze; crash; turn back to normal colors (sometimes as a glitch city). If it goes back to color again, it will most likely play the sound that happens when you use FLY outside of battle. If it does, you will be greeted with an unknown opcode. I have found that this works best if performed in glitch city maps that do not require glitches to access. One example of these is the glitch city right of Fuchsia City accessible with the Walk Through Walls code. Sometimes you can see buildings (example: Pokemon Centers) in the loop. From what I know, these require speed. They rarely happen without the speed-up key-bind, but I have found one location where it can happen. They seem to be more common if the last out of bounds effect was that one. If you restart the game when one of those happen (assuming the game remained loaded the entire time), it will usually happen no matter which direction or area you trigger it in. It will fail if you stop holding down the key-bind or movement key. I decided to call it the OOB Silhouette Scrolling Glitch. I do not know if anyone else has seen this glitch or knows more about it.

Re: Pokemon OOB Silhouette Scrolling Glitch

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2018-06-29 16:19:08
Thanks for providing a video. However, the behavior of a game after it's been modified from an external source can't be considered a glitch. It would only be worth noting if there's a connection between this behavior and something that can occur within the bounds of the original ROM.

Date: 2018-06-29 17:53:46
While I want to test it out on an actual Gameboy Color, I do not have one. I only put the disclaimer because I didn't want people calling it "fake" because it only worked on Visual Boy. It could very well work on a toaster hacked to play Gameboy games for all I know. I just do not have the resources to test it on anything else and it seems to only work with the key-bind. It may work without it but I do not have the time to find out. I doubt it is Emulator-Only because very few exist. Also, the ROM I used was the Original Yellow ROM. The only difference was that it was a GBC file instead of a cartridge since I obviously cannot put a cartridge into computer software. I doubt it is an emulator issue since Visual Boy Advance is the most used and well-known emulator and I had the latest version. I think it is really just a problem where the game allows you to move further OOB than the tile that causes the crash due to it not being able to keep up with your character's speed (which is why I never saw it without the Move At Bicycle Speed code). And since the key-bind doesn't actually affect the game, I don't think that is the problem. I just wanted to tell people everything I knew. I only said that the cheats were required. It isn't for ACE, it is so you do not run into a wall and get stuck when you want to go OOB. This is basically no different than putting up glitches for catching trainer's Pokemon or battling before getting a starting Pokemon. In fact, it is less than that since you could probably pull it off without Gamesharks at all. You just need a glitch that lets you walk through walls and a bicycle that you can get from normal game play. And yes, it can delete your save data.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2018-06-29 18:52:08

I doubt it is an emulator issue since Visual Boy Advance is the most used and well-known emulator and I had the latest version.

VBA is a piece of trash, both as an emulator and as software in general. And no, it's not the most well-known emulator. There are also BGB, BizHawk/Gambatte, SameBoy, bsnes, mGBA, and that's a few. Really, stop using VBA, for your own good.

Also, this glitch is definitely an emulator error. If it requires speed-up, that's the only possibility. I don't trust VBA for much, even less when it comes to OoB (since Glitch Hell only triggers on VBA, for example).
The glitch deleting save data is 99% certainly due to VBA NOT locking SRAM as it should, thereby enabling the game to erase your save. Which makes it even worse an emulator, just sayin'.

Oh, and by the way, the bike's speed-up doesn't make things any more straining for the game. You still move tile by tile, and trigger the map connection. Nothing changes, and speed-up enabling glitches further proves how shitty VBA is. Speed-up should NOT affect the emulated game, yet it does.

Date: 2018-06-30 16:35:44
I guess you are right. I did have problems with VBA where wild battles were triggered as soon as I unpaused the game. But, that happened on other Emulators and it was Gen 1. I think that there is simply a chance that you will get into a battle instantly if you stay idle for too long in grass.

Date: 2018-07-01 06:24:26
No, that's not possible. You need to press a key for wild battles to trigger. The other possibility is that you had an Instant Encounter cheat code enabled.

Also, all of the emulators I mentioned have superior accuracy,  and no matter how you look at it they are way, way better than VBA.

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2018-07-01 23:25:27
There is one particular reason I've continued using VBA as my GBA emulator of choice, and that's the Lua scripting. Granted, that's only on a fork, but it's big enough a difference for me to make up for the shortcomings emulation-wise.

Date: 2018-07-02 03:40:01
I understand; it makes sense (esp. if you're aware how trash its emulation is and take what happens with a pack of salt), but there are also other emus with Lua scripting (BizHawk), and VBA is a dangerous piece of software anyways. I mean regarding its actual security flaws.