Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Secret Copy of Route 24 Above Cerulean City - Page 1

Secret Copy of Route 24 Above Cerulean City

Posted by: Duelist Of Roses
Date: 2018-06-29 16:29:22
[Disclaimer: Only tested in Pokemon Yellow (US) and only with Visual Boy Advance Emulator. However, I have found nothing that would suggest that it cannot be done without an emulator and/or Gameshark codes. I have yet to get all the information.]

I was fooling around with the Walk Through Walls Gameshark code when I found this place. It seems to be a copy of Route 24 located above Cerulean City. If you attempt to go too far past the bridge, it will crash. This is because it is OOB, despite appearing to be a normal area. If you navigate this area without the cheat code, there is a tile on the bridge that causes all tiles you walk on to become glitched. Also, you will be invisible and unable to move unless you reactivate the cheat code. I also found that it can trigger the OOB Silhouette Scrolling Glitch. This location is not invalid as it has an entire spot on the map. The bridge looks like Nugget Bridge, however, I could not find a single CPU in the entire place. It is refereed to as "Route 24" according to the town map. The music played also is the same track played in Professor Oak's lab. I do not know why but I assume it is some sort of placeholder music to prevent instant crashes due to invalid audio tracks. I think it is either a glitch or the beta location for Route 24. It has something to do with Route 24. The entire place looks like Route 24 too. However, it is a slightly different tint. The color in the video is different because I have my settings set to "Real Colors" instead of "Gameboy Colors" because I think it looks better. However, upon turning it back I have found that the real Route 24 has a lighter tint and is more greenish-yellowish than the brownish color found in the copy location. I could not find this anywhere so I assume that I found it first. This glitch will most likely work outside an emulator and walk through walls glitches may also help you achieve this.

Re: Secret Copy of Route 24 Above Cerulean City

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2018-06-29 16:37:22

The behavior of a game after it's been modified from an external source can't be considered a glitch. It would only be worth noting if there's a connection between this behavior and something that can occur within the bounds of the original ROM.
The same applies here. On top of that, VBA doesn't have a great reputation for accuracy compared to other GB/C emulators. It's fine if you want to mess around with changing memory addresses without 8F, but a random combination of RAM values after applying GameShark codes doesn't count as a new exploit in the game (though it could count toward finding one, theoretically).

Date: 2018-06-29 18:09:00
You actually do not need a Gameshark. I haven't tested it, but I believe that you can perform it with a simple walk through walls glitch. You just need to get through the mountains. You could use ACE or a variety of glitches. The RAM isn't the reason. I have tried it without any codes except Walk Through Walls. It should also work outside the Emulator, since unlike the OOB Silhouette Scrolling Glitch, this one doesn't require anything that is an emulator only feature. The speed-up is only required to save time. It is fully functional without it. It isn't actually random because it exists on the Town Map. If I could post a video, you would be able to see it. It is a real location and not just an accidental ACE script. Walking through walls won't create the map or make it the way I found it. It is simply the only way to get to it without warping or ACE. Like before, I only put the emulator and Gameshark in the disclaimer as a safety precaution in case it (for some reason) didn't work on the specific game or console they used. It was to avoid anger directed at me only. I wanted people to be ready in the off-chance it failed. However, I have added into the post that it may work without the Gameshark or Emulator. Visual Boy Advance is one of the best Emulators I have seen. The others either do not have a cheat list function, or it simply doesn't work. Also, most emulators lack a lot of features VBA doesn't. I do not have the money for an actual Gameboy Color or I would buy one. That is why I am not testing it on anything else.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2018-06-29 19:04:10
What you're describing there basically is a "loopback" of Route 24, nothing fancy. As for the other glitchy effects (turning invisible, Oak's Lab music, different tinit), you probably stepped on a $FF map connection, which is known to have crashing behavior, but VBA is crappy enough that it often doesn't crash.
Oak's Lab isn't a placeholder music. The game does not check against invalid audio tracks, will happily try to load them, and more often than not, choke hard. Be it due to the audio or for another reason, actually. But whetever; tl;dr: the loopback is known, it's just a quirk of how 2D arrays are implemented in low-level languages, and the rest of the effect are VBA emulation inaccuracies.

The reasont eh loopback still shows up as Route 24 is that you still entered the map north of Cerulean, which is Route 24, so the game indicates that you're there. Your coordinates on the map are too lagre, though (I guess you must be just to the "right" of the map, so going left would bring you to the actual map).

"Real Colors" is an incorrect setting, which bypasses whatever color mixing VBA may have. The colors may look more pleasant, but they're wrong.

Also, VBA is still a piece of shit emulator. Not as awful as KiGB with its per-game hax, but still reeally shitty. Try mGBA for a change.

Date: 2018-06-30 16:39:05
It looked different in tint regardless of the visual settings. I turned Real Colors off to try it. It was still a brownish color instead of the usual yellow-green. Also, if Oak's Lab isn't a placeholder, the game should either play the normal music, play nothing, or play sounds that are not music. The chances of actual music playing in an invalid map are low. Also, Oak's Lab is a common soundtrack played in beta and alternative maps.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2018-07-01 06:22:41

Also, if Oak's Lab isn't a placeholder, the game should either play the normal music, play nothing, or play sounds that are not music.

Invalid maps/music tracks/etc. may end up playing valid tracks due to luck, for example. That happens.

Also, Oak's Lab is a common soundtrack played in beta and alternative maps.

No.