Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Is mGBA or Goomba Color Allowed? - Page 1

Is mGBA or Goomba Color Allowed?

Posted by: zdrmonster12
Date: 2018-07-16 10:56:01
mGBA is a GBA Emulator. Goomba Color is a GBC emulator for GBA.

Goomba Color:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/l2rV3bp.png[/img]

mGBA:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/eMSgRx8.png[/img]

Re: Is mGBA or Goomba Color Allowed?

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2018-07-16 11:18:37
You can use whatever emulator you like :) (no emulator is banned here and you should be free to use whatever you feel), but I'm not sure about speedrunning rules (in relation to speedrun.com and organised circles); which according to this seems to only allow GambatteSpeedrun or real console.

Other than the ability to cheat, in a run that uses luck manipulation VBA (and possibly mGBA, Goomba Color) may be banned due to inaccurate RNG, or it might go as far as official runs having to be verified on a real console.

BGB is one of the most accurate emulators, which I highly recommend and certain emulators are not as accurate as it. For example, early versions of VBA suffer from inaccurate Echo RAM emulation which means certain glitches like dokokashira door (and possibly Coin Case glitch) do not work properly.

Hope this answers your question. ^^

Date: 2018-07-16 11:20:26
oh. Thanks!

Date: 2018-07-16 11:22:23

oh. Thanks!

You're welcome! ^^

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2018-07-16 13:24:40
The reason certain emulators are banned from speedrunning is that they do not perfectly emulate the system in question, and thus times recorded using them shouldn't be compared alongside those of people playing "the actual game". As far as I know, the only emulators to perfectly mirror the hardware of the Game Boy Color are BGB and Gambatte. mGBA seems to be the gold standard right now for GBA emulation.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2018-07-16 22:59:57
BGB doesn't perfectly emulate the hardware; it fails at a bunch of edge cases, which beware doesn't want to fix for the sake of performance. Gambatte has pretty much fallen into disrepair at this point (like VBA), but (unlike VBA) it's really accurate, in some fields more than BGB.
A much better emulator is SameBoy, which is basically becoming the GB's higan (both in terms of accuracy and performance… :p)

mGBA's GB emulation is fairly good, too. Goomba Color, however, plainly sucks.

And again, VBA is an entry point for malware, so, don't.

Date: 2018-07-17 10:32:17

A much better emulator is SameBoy, which is basically becoming the GB's higan (both in terms of accuracy and performance… :p)

Fun Fact. SameBoy has its own Boot screens that are based on the Game Boy's boot screens.

Date: 2018-07-17 12:39:23

BGB doesn't perfectly emulate the hardware; it fails at a bunch of edge cases, which beware doesn't want to fix for the sake of performance. Gambatte has pretty much fallen into disrepair at this point (like VBA), but (unlike VBA) it's really accurate, in some fields more than BGB.

mGBA's GB emulation is fairly good, too. Goomba Color, however, plainly sucks.

And again, VBA is an entry point for malware, so, don't.

I had no idea SameBoy was a thing. Thanks ISSOtm. ^^

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2018-07-17 14:34:26

Fun Fact. SameBoy has its own Boot screens that are based on the Game Boy's boot screens.

They're not boot screens, they're boot ROMs. Liji's point with the custom ROMs is to be able to replicate booting using the official ROMs without requiring a copy of them (they're intellectual property, therefore illegal to distribute). The reason why not using HLE instead is to avoid the weird hack that is being able to skip/HLE the boot ROM.