Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Old Man Glitch + Professor Oak - Page 1

Old Man Glitch + Professor Oak

Posted by: atlantaj
Date: 2018-09-07 06:27:51
Hiya :)

Excuse me for the newbie question!

I've been playing around with the Old Man glitch, specifially the Professor Oak glitch trainer (Yes I am a latecomer to actually doing the glitches!) . I came across 2 glitch pokemon: a pokemon called A (EA?) with the move KOGAKOGA, and P which of freezes my game so put an end to that!

I've been wondering what causes Prof. Oak to have different pokemon? I've looked around the main site, and bulbapedia etc. but haven't found any info on it yet.

Also, I can't find a reference to the KOGAKOGA move anywhere, I assume the game is pulling this from somewhere else? How come it does this rather than using one of the moves from its 'moveset'?

Thank you for reading  ;D

Re: Old Man Glitch + Professor Oak

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2018-09-07 06:57:37

Hiya :)

Excuse me for the newbie question!

I've been playing around with the Old Man glitch, specifially the Professor Oak glitch trainer (Yes I am a latecomer to actually doing the glitches!) . I came across 2 glitch pokemon: a pokemon called A (EA?) with the move KOGAKOGA, and P which of freezes my game so put an end to that!

I've been wondering what causes Prof. Oak to have different pokemon? I've looked around the main site, and bulbapedia etc. but haven't found any info on it yet.

Also, I can't find a reference to the KOGAKOGA move anywhere, I assume the game is pulling this from somewhere else? How come it does this rather than using one of the moves from its 'moveset'?

Thank you for reading  ;D

Hello there! :) Welcome to the forums ^^.

That's OK.

Yes, glitch Pokémon from glitch Trainers are a common find. The move "KOGAKOGA" sounds likely to be one of the glitch moves between indices 166-195 (or maybe move 0x00 as well I'm unsure). These have a random set of names based on I believe the game searching through RAM to find a terminated string that would match the glitch move ID. The same move then, for instance may not only be named "KOGAKOGA" but another string. This effect occurs with glitch Trainer 0xC8 as well, who was originally known as "JACRED", but has a varying name. This also occurs with things such as the obscure glitch stats and hex:00 glitch item in Red/Green (see chaotic name).

These moves are also known as "Super Glitch" moves, and having a copy of the game's screen in data terminated by 0x50 can prevent the freezes you get with them (see here for more information).

Glitch Trainers encountered with the old man glitch (or from an encounter table), regardless of Trainer class always have the same Pokémon, as detailed here but the team varies based on the roster number. This value can be modified by encountering a Trainer before performing the old man glitch, so for instance encountering Rocket 40 (hex:28) (Silph Co. 11F) before doing the glitch gives different Pokémon to say Youngster 2, specifically roster 40 of the wild Pokémon Trainers as opposed to roster 2. Professor Oak therefore will always have glitch teams if encountered via the old man glitch or an encounter table.

Glitch Trainers encountered with the Trainer escape glitch (but maybe not the ones from text box ID matching; only Start menu or text boxes that support Special stat encounters), will have teams based on the 'attack-stage' of the foe. This is a value that begins at 7, but can be raised to a maximum of 13 or minimum of 1. For instance, if the foe doesn't use any Attack stat changing moves, you'll encounter Professor Oak roster 7, which is taken from one of the Scientist rosters because it directly follows Professor Oak, after "Chief", which has no rosters. But if you use 6 Growls to lower it down to 1, you'll encounter Professor Oak's first programmed team (with Blastoise). 5 times you'll get his team with Venusaur, and 4 times you'll get his team with Charizard. Similarly, if the foe used Swords Dance once, you would get roster 9 (also from Scientists).

You're welcome. Hope this helps! :)

Re: Old Man Glitch + Professor Oak

Posted by: atlantaj
Date: 2018-09-07 07:02:23
Thank you!

That's very interesting to know, that I can influence his roster by battling different trainers first… I predict I'm going to be doing this for the next few days then  ::)  ;D

thanks again for your detailed reply  :)