Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Hypothetical idea to get arbitrary Pokémon using PC corruption - Page 1

Hypothetical idea to get arbitrary Pokémon using PC corruption

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2018-09-29 15:05:24
Just an idea on how to get arbitrary Pokémon from the stored PC without arbitrary code execution, if anyone wants to research this (or I may look into this eventually).

1. Use a PC corruption glitch
2. Find an out of bounds stored Pokémon which has a species byte 2 reaching into Echo RAM. View the status of a Pokémon with a non-harmful move 4 to avoid a freeze upon withdrawing it, then withdraw this Pokémon.
3. Take the Pokémon into Day Care and out to convert it into a stable version of the Pokémon.

PC corruption glitches:

https://glitchcity.info/wiki/MetascriptDex/RB:D636_(Route_6_gate) ; (script 0x0C)
https://glitchcity.info/wiki/ItemDex/RB:094 Repeated 9F use
https://glitchcity.info/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_No._152 Glitch Professor Oak rating
https://glitchcity.info/wiki/AreaDex/Y:254 Map 254 in Yellow

Re: Hypothetical idea to get arbitrary Pokémon using PC corruption

Posted by: GlitchedPokemonStudent
Date: 2018-09-29 18:30:00
This sounds similar to the "Remaining HP glitch". Is there some difference or upside to it? :???:

Date: 2018-09-30 11:24:49

This sounds similar to the "Remaining HP glitch". Is there some difference or upside to it? :???:

Remaining HP glitch shifts data back from an unterminated PC. This rather gives you over 20 Pokémon in the PC by corrupting the entire list; so Pokémon 21-255 represent other data. Thinking about it, you may be able to use this as a method for remaining HP glitch rather than the one involving Q (FF)/Charizard 'M (FF) and catching Pokémon. I find setting up the expanded item pack (allowing for most PC corruption glitches) slightly easier than getting Q (FF)/Charizard 'M (FF) personally.

Posted by: metalmario32
Date: 2018-10-05 12:09:27
I find setting up the expanded item pack (allowing for most PC corruption glitches) slightly easier than getting Q (FF)/Charizard 'M (FF) personally.

I disagree, because item underflow can be confusing to several players, and in Red/Blue, getting CoolTrainer is relatively easy thanks to the Ditto move swap glitch (or however it is properly called). After obtaining CoolTrainer, doing the Safari Zone escape glitch in order to access the Route 1 Glitch City for Charizard 'M is easy enough. As for Yellow, I feel that doing the trainer escape glitch once for 4 4 Hy into an evolution to Q is easier than doing the trainer escape glitch once (or twice) for 255 items, and then doing item underflow.

But your points are well stated, and I'll have to look into PC corruption. Good job Torchickens! :D

Date: 2018-10-06 16:40:06

I find setting up the expanded item pack (allowing for most PC corruption glitches) slightly easier than getting Q (FF)/Charizard 'M (FF) personally.

I disagree, because item underflow can be confusing to several players, and in Red/Blue, getting CoolTrainer is relatively easy thanks to the Ditto move swap glitch (or however it is properly called). After obtaining CoolTrainer, doing the Safari Zone escape glitch in order to access the Route 1 Glitch City for Charizard 'M is easy enough. As for Yellow, I feel that doing the trainer escape glitch once for 4 4 Hy into an evolution to Q is easier than doing the trainer escape glitch once (or twice) for 255 items, and then doing item underflow.

But your points are well stated, and I'll have to look into PC corruption. Good job Torchickens! :D

Makes sense.