Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Topic about ASM hack to program ASM has been locked. - Page 1

Topic about ASM hack to program ASM has been locked.

Posted by: joshuarpl
Date: 2018-11-29 13:24:17
I am sorry to say, but a staff member was a dump and locked my last topic, As this prevents anyone, even me from doing replies there, I had to write this as a topic.

Also, please don't ban me.
Maybe I should fiddle around with random addresses and see what counts :/

Re: Topic about ASM hack to program ASM has been locked.

Posted by: Couldntthinkofaname
Date: 2018-11-29 13:48:10

I am sorry to say, but a staff member was a dump

Do not disrespect staff. The staff member in question did the right thing, the topic was leading no where, and will most likely lead nowhere here too.

You'll have no luck simply toying with things you have little knowledge of. In the locked topic, both myself and ISSOtm provided you with plenty of resources to get started. Members of the forums are usually apt at LR35902 and can answer questions should it become necessary.

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2018-11-29 15:21:29
He's been disrespectful and rude since he got here. I say we ban him, but that's not my call.

Learn GBz80ASM first. That's the first step, as that's the main thing you'll use.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2018-11-29 18:20:54

I am sorry to say, but a staff member was a dump and locked my last topic, As this prevents anyone, even me from doing replies there, I had to write this as a topic.

I'm sorry you didn't get what you were looking for.

I think the original request may have been seen as a tall order (there are memory editors but nothing that simulates writing the assembly lines exactly) so it may have been why you were only linked to tutorials.

The easiest thing to approximate what you want is to set up a memory editor (be it TheZZAZZGlitch's, offgao's, Debug Yellow ROM hack), and then use it to write the bytes as hexadecimal digits, and look up the equivalent ASM instructions table.

So, for instance you'll need to know how to store values into registers and registers into addresses. Ld a, xx is 3E XX on the instruction table. Also with help of the instruction table, Getting Mew is 3E 15 EA 59 D0 C9 (or ld a, $15 ld (d059),a ret). This also provides a brief explanation on which registers do what, note there are technical terms you have to look up, but the basic idea is that the registers (a, b, de, hl, etc.) can store values, registers can go into RAM addresses, you can run other addresses, there are different types of hardware states and flags, and so on.

Setting up one of the first two memory editors will let you write bytes into the memory. TheZZAZZGlitch's memory editor lets you run the code you write directly, with offgao's memory editor you have to run it in another way, for instance, you could use two arbitrary code execution items. You could have 8F run the memory editor and -g m for your experimental code.

For instance, for -g m, place C3 22 D3 at DA47, DA48, DA49. This will make it run D322, where you can add the code you want.

https://glitchcity.info/wiki/TheZZAZZGlitch%27s_memory_editor
https://glitchcity.info/wiki/Offgao%27s_memory_editor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkIDPwkeGWs (Debug Yellow)

Setting up the memory editors is time consuming (unless you use a modified ROM like debug Yellow) and things can go wrong, so if you can I suggest importing a save file. I have a few with the offgao memory editor set up so you can play around with that.

https://sites.google.com/site/torchickens2/pokemon-save-files

Pokemon Yellow offgao memory editor.sav
Pokémon Red offgao memory editor.sav

Hope this helps!

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2018-11-29 19:55:02

Really? Really?

Maybe I could have been more specific, but as Epsilon said, I was addressing everyone who had posted in the previous thread to some degree. Re-read it, in addition to the explanation Evie painstakingly took her time to give. What you are asking for already exists.

+40 WOM, for acting rude toward members who tried to help you, staff and normal members alike, not to mention a series of posts beforehand that showed a complete lack of comprehension for the rules or a willingness to read them after being kindly directed to them both by myself and Isso. Further posts from your account will require moderator approval before this warning is revoked. However, you can still post.

Also, locking this.