Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

"BGLSG" glitch, a new method to perform the Pikachu Glitch in in-door places? - Page 1

"BGLSG" glitch, a new method to perform the Pikachu Glitch in in-door places?

Posted by: Addri Trainer
Date: 2018-12-28 15:32:51
1 year ago, I uploaded a video to my YT channel where I showed a weird glitch,and I just can activate with the Pikachu Off-screen/Pikachu's glitch. I let here that video. The meaning of the name is that these letters appear in the box text at the beginning of the glitch. They are not an acronym.

[img]https://i.gyazo.com/b91ae07787bdabba68f228c869258467.png[/img]  [img]https://i.gyazo.com/0a58ba557c83096b09ade22c2aacfeb3.png[/img]

The effects of this glitch are this:

1) The player changes his movement. Every move he makes, his sprite changes to letters, like the bug in the Pokémon Tower when you use Dig. And, when he walks, the screen moves abruptly, like if the player will be moving in photos. As a curiosity, the NPCs of around will be frozen, looking south.

2) If you go into a building, the sprites will change. For example, the Chansey's sprite of Celadon City will change to the Gary's sprite. The walking effects will disappear.

[img height=170]https://i.gyazo.com/e3d042c75543e5b609da10477c6fb871.png[/img]

But the true reason why I wanted to make this thread is this: when you enter in a building or a cave, Pikachu will stay freezed in the door. The only way to get it moving is talking to him, or there are other strange effect that makes Pikachu run along the screen until be placed behind the player. But this effect only occur when the player is close to Pikachu (Pikachu appears in the screen). Thanks to this effect, we can do the Pikachu off-screen Glitch in indoors places.

I activated this glitch and I went to Mt. Moon. You can cause Super Glitch Cities and the trainer data corruption. The problem of the least trick it's that you need to change the route to cause a wild encounter with level +200 Pokémon, and I think this is impossible. Don't works change the floor and return. I put some photos here:

[img]https://i.gyazo.com/fe1d52c7a80ff09b56d3f4d579f3228a.png[/img]  [img]https://i.gyazo.com/a9700b0e44108d906c20ac02a316c8aa.png[/img]

The subject why I open this thread is: there are another trick to cause a route change in idoor places like caves or buildings? And thus, we could document other trainers to get Pokémon over 100 level besides those who appear in this list. And I also didn't saw this on the wiki, and I thought it could be interesant and be added.  :)  Thanks for reading!

Re: "BGLSG" glitch, a new method to perform the Pikachu Glitch in in-door places?

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2018-12-28 15:51:21
This sounds very interesting. Nice find! Feel free to add it to the wiki and will peer-check it for you when I get the chance.

Re: "BGLSG" glitch, a new method to perform the Pikachu Glitch in in-door places?

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2018-12-28 17:15:20
FB F6 F6 F6 F8 FD F7 (5000271) doesn't appear in the ROM, so the text is presumably from RAM and it should probably have another name, but…who cares?! This is a really great new find! :D

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2018-12-28 18:03:28
The screen's janky scrolling and lack of player walking sprites indicate that the game kept the font loaded (it's loaded in place of the walking frames tiles) and had BG auto-transfer enabled (displaying the window and updating it with the WRAM BG map)

Anyways, I'm not trusting this because VBA.

Date: 2018-12-30 11:44:40

This sounds very interesting. Nice find! Feel free to add it to the wiki and will peer-check it for you when I get the chance.
Done!
https://glitchcity.info/wiki/%22BGLSG%22_Glitch

I also would notified that the article could be better with images and gifs. If someone could add this, I'd really appreciate it.

FB F6 F6 F6 F8 FD F7 (5000271) doesn't appear in the ROM, so the text is presumably from RAM and it should probably have another name, but…who cares?! This is a really great new find! :D

The screen's janky scrolling and lack of player walking sprites indicate that the game kept the font loaded (it's loaded in place of the walking frames tiles) and had BG auto-transfer enabled (displaying the window and updating it with the WRAM BG map)

Interesting messages. Sherkel, if you think there are another name to this glitch, expose it  :D I just picked the letters up.

Coming back to the main question, someone think the route change can be forced?

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2018-12-30 17:37:42

How do you know it was done on VBA?

If so, it should be verified on BGB.

About the name, I just don't like it when they're too unnatural-sounding or long. (Werster had the right idea with Glitzer Popping.) Plus, this one doesn't seem like it will always display the same text.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2018-12-30 18:51:59
VBA is easy to recognize from the saturated colors and dodgy sound quality.

Date: 2018-12-30 20:39:55
I confirm that I recorded The BGB emulator in this video. I don't use VBA since 2014  :o

As a fact, this effect just happened to me in the English version of Yellow. I tested it in the Spanish/German versions and the game freezes.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-01-04 09:33:37
LanceAndMissingNo. may you send a save file at the first Nugget Bridge trainer with the glitch set up without any cheats (but WTW cheat is OK) please? I can try to analyse why it occurred for you this way. I did notice however, if D4E0=FF and D4F0=00, the BGLSG text box will appear. In regards to your question, you may be able to manipulate map connection data from the expanded items pack, so you can walk to another in-door route without using ladders/stairs. Lg- can also be used to set up Pikachu off-screen glitch indoors, but it requires a glitch that lets you get it such as this or dry underflow glitch with Celadon looping map glitch. Hence, BGLSG glitch seems to be a good way of doing Pikachu off-screen glitch indoors if you've ran out of long-range Trainers.