Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

ACE to get another masterball? - Page 1

ACE to get another masterball?

Posted by: American Doggo
Date: 2019-01-03 21:07:37
So I want to get Missingno in yellow but my dumbass used my masterball on mewtwo forgeting that in Yellow Missingno has a 0 catch rate. Does anyone know if there is any kind of ACE to get another one or if there are any other methods?

Re: ACE to get another masterball?

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-01-03 21:42:40

So I want to get Missingno in yellow but my dumbass used my masterball on mewtwo forgeting that in Yellow Missingno has a 0 catch rate. Does anyone know if there is any kind of ACE to get another one or if there are any other methods?

You're still in luck. :) The expanded items pack lets you find Master Balls, and if you don't want over 20 items, depositing them into the PC and buying two more items (if you use most expanded items pack methods which give you 255 items) will bring it back to normal.

I don't actually know exactly how 0 catch rate constant affects the game, so there may be a chance you can still catch it without a Master Ball. There technically are ways, which include via stable unstable MissingNo. on more accurate emulators/actual hardware (encountering MissingNo. for the first time from a cleared save file with Up+Select+B which hasn't encountered relevant glitch Pokémon that affect SRAM; the corruption allows Poké Balls other than the Master Ball to instantly succeed) or you can capture Fossil/Ghost MissingNo. instead, which requires the Ditto trick and a Special stat of 182, 183, or 184 or this simpler but more luck dependent method.

Most means to get another Master Ball or Yellow MissingNo. require Trainer escape glitch. However, there are exceptions.

One of the easiest (but requiring a link cable) is as follows; depending on the state of your save file, you may be able to trade a Ditto with no moves (from swapping Transform moves glitch) from Red/Blue to Yellow, flash the Pokémon menu in battle (important), scroll the moves list until the music fades, and throw an Ultra Ball (other Balls may work) to catch a regular Yellow MissingNo. without the bad side effects. "CoolTrainer glitch" as this is sometimes called is subject to a 'chaotic name' effect. If it does not work the only solution may be to reduce or increase the number of 0x50 bytes that appear in the memory until it does, such as by changing the length of names of Pokémon in your party or the storage PC.

Another method is through using Glitch City RAM Manipulation to change total PC items from 50 to 109, which I have a video demonstration of for Yellow here. If there are Master Balls in the PC past slot 50 you can proceed to withdraw them (note be careful as this could mess with map script data), alternatively you can withdraw 255 of an item and use it to setup dry underflow glitch. Unfortunately the links to the images in the video description no longer work. I cannot remember the relevant positions but it should be possible to follow the video step by step to find the right tile block, which should be two bushes and a tree that you must Cut.

Another method is to set up Pikachu off-screen glitch arbitrary code execution to obtain the expanded inventory without the need of Trainer-escape glitch, MissingNo. or a long-range Trainer. It can also be used infinitely. Without trades or glitch Pokémon, there is a Hitmonchan method for this, but it requires three PP Ups and luck as bad IVs on the Hitmonchan could break the code. If that doesn't work, you may have to settle for the long method of making your Pokémon have specific stat experience. The current experience can again get in the way, but it works every time for a Level 100 Gengar (obtained at Level 1 with Trainer-Fly and raised to Level 100 with experience underflow glitch) as the experience at Level 100 is safe and always the same.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Posted by: American Doggo
Date: 2019-01-03 22:14:04
Thanks for the response, I will definitely try these out. Also love your YT vids, have been subbed for around a year now.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-01-03 22:17:05
You're welcome. Good luck.

Also love your YT vids, have been subbed for around a year now.

Thanks! :D