Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Changing the game's color in Pokemon R/Y - Page 1

Changing the game's color in Pokemon R/Y

Posted by: c a s a b l a n c a s
Date: 2019-01-20 12:26:09
First off, I'm not entirely sure if this even is a glitch or a 'just for fun' thing so I posted it under this forum.

This thing happened first while I was performing the expanded items glitch in Pokemon Yellow just to check the unused maps of the game on a phone via MyBoy. On item 32 (usually an Ultra Ball), tossing one or more may cause the whole game to change its colors. Entering a building, battling a trainer/pokemon and leaving a town on foot won't revert the colors and if going to the stairs or exiting/entering, the animation (?) looks similar to being an SGB animation as though the game went to SGB mode without resetting. The normal animations and colors come back once the player leaves a building, flies, uses an escape rope and possibly, dig. When in battle mode though, the colors are the same as the original so it only works for the overworld map.

I didn't test the effect on Pokemon Yellow when trying on a PC. I used Pokemon Red on BGB but I didn't do the expanded pack, rather, I went to the debugger and modified address F35D with 01 or any upto FF. The results were the same and I tried making up a gameshark code 01XX5DF3 which worked for Pokemon Red on BGB but when testing it on Yellow on MyBoy, it became a warping code.

I tried finding codes or sources related to this and maybe I didn't search hard enough but there wasn't any at all so I hope if someone finds one with a link, comment down will ya?

Lastly, I didn't think of this thing as a glitch as it wasn't 'dangerous' enough. It simply changes colors and I thought it'd might be a bit entertaining if people knew. Also, I forgot how I figured F35D to be the address that changes color so I'm hoping someone can figure it out ??? Thanks.

Re: Changing the game's color in Pokemon R/Y

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-01-20 13:28:31
It is known. The quantity of item 32 corresponds to RAM address $D35D, which is generally known as "brightness", and is used in Rock Tunnel and when going through doors. Pretty fun one to play with, though, huh? :)

That's not on the wiki, though, is it? :???: Whoops.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-01-20 14:00:38
Nice post. Thanks c a s a b l a n c a s. :)

It is known. The quantity of item 32 corresponds to RAM address $D35D, which is generally known as "brightness", and is used in Rock Tunnel. Pretty fun one to play with, though, huh? :)

That's not on the wiki, though, is it? :???: Whoops.

Yes, the article below details it but I feel sometimes the information on the wiki is hard to find so that could be in need of improvement.

https://glitchcity.info/wiki/Play_the_Safari_Zone_in_the_dark_glitch

Date: 2019-01-20 14:14:09
I think it should be on the Expanded item pack page, because that was the only place I thought to look. That would mean adding a lot of addresses that are useful/fun/safe to alter, but we should still do it. (Look, starting a wiki talk page without even starting a wiki talk page! :P )

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-01-20 14:35:24

I think it should be on the Expanded item pack page, because that was the only place I thought to look. That would mean adding a lot of addresses that are useful/fun/safe to alter, but we should still do it. (Look, starting a wiki talk page without even starting a wiki talk page! :P )

Yes. I feel too a page like that is long overdue. Lucky made a thread documenting the item underflow slots, but it seemed somewhere in the list there was a mistake, so the list will have to be double checked.

Have now added this page for me or others to work on if they like (expanded item pack links to it) :)
(here)

Date: 2019-01-20 16:51:50
This is coming along nicely.

Some comments from luckytyphlosion:

Actually, let's put this on the talk page.

Posted by: Pokedude
Date: 2019-06-01 13:48:14
Could it be an easter egg reference to what happens when you load a Game boy game into a GBA and press the directional pad when you power it up?

Date: 2019-06-01 15:46:14
That's just part of the GBC bootrom, not any game in particular. The palette offset feature's always existed in RBY.