Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

SRAM glitch: Faster way for 255 items, 0 party Pokémon (no ACE method) - Page 1

SRAM glitch: Faster way for 255 items, 0 party Pokémon (no ACE method)

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-04-10 11:09:35
1. Perform the SRAM glitch
2. Swap Pokémon 9 with Pokémon 10 and then Pokémon 10 with Pokémon 11 to get the expanded inventory as usual, but with the bonus of not corrupting your Pokédex (thanks Krys3000!). Stand on the right exit mat of your house.
3. Swap Pokémon 187 with 178, wait a while and press A. You should now have 0 party Pokémon.
4. Move down to exit your house.

This was done with default names "YELLOW" and "BLUE" in Pokémon Yellow (I'm not sure if it works in Red/Blue). An unfortunate side effect of the glitch was that my name became "YEL(0x4B)OW" but there may be non-ACE workarounds, possibly from using a different name and/or another swap. Alternatively, one time I did this glitch the corruption of the name didn't occur, so there may be an element of luck here.

Also, Blue may become a Link Battle Trainer (although the game doesn't check for the Link Cable so you don't need one connected) but if you lose to his 3TrainerPoké you can proceed as normal. You may be able to avoid this entirely by saving and resetting.

This glitch (in terms of speed) obsoletes an old non-ACE method that involves catching any Pokémon to change the party counter to 49-51 and then depositing all party Pokémon into the PC, but it may be a little awkward finding Pokémon 187 for some (as the exact positions matter).

If you store stacks of x255 (or x0) items in the PC, you can probably fix your inventory to get Oak's Parcel by withdrawing the Potion you're given in the PC at the beginning of the game (changing item count from 255 to 0), and then use dry underflow glitch in the storage PC to get a x255 stack in the normal bag for event underflow glitch, after which you're left with the expanded inventory again.

Re: SRAM glitch: Faster way for 255 items, 0 party Pokémon (no ACE method)

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-04-10 13:23:28
Ooh, that's handy. I'll still need to pick up an Everdrive to use this for Yellow ACE techniques on an original system considering it requires loading a save, but great work, both of you!

Date: 2019-04-11 14:08:18

Ooh, that's handy. I'll still need to pick up an Everdrive to use this for Yellow ACE techniques on an original system considering it requires loading a save, but great work, both of you!

Glad you like the glitch! :) Cool, hope you get one!

Posted by: Spoink
Date: 2019-04-13 19:27:42
The 'YEL$4BOW' effect is almost certainly due to sprite animations. If I recall, it's Pokemon 230 that changes your name. With different timings you can change the character to $8B (L), $CB, and $0B too.

I once posted a setup that allowed the user to get their name to be infinitely long, but nobody payed any attention to it. :(

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-04-14 21:14:28
I once posted a setup that allowed the user to get their name to be infinitely long, but nobody payed any attention to it. :(
Maybe because it effectively just breaks the game? :P

Any more info on this or other 255 Pokemon sub-glitches I may have missed? It'd be good to update the wiki with proper info on all of these, including the name change danny mentioned (whichever way doesn't corrupt a different crucial address so you can still save, presumably).

Date: 2019-04-14 21:49:45
Um.. other than the one mentioned by danny and the ones in the other thread there are a few others. Usually a Select glitch can be replicated in the expanded party by either Pokémon -1 or +1 of the original (not memorised this yet and there could be exceptions to the rule), but with differences that sometimes change the nature of the glitch.

An example is the international 'dokokashira door glitch'. Other than those is the sprite glitch you edited recently (thanks for the move, I chose a bad name for the glitch), international trainer mutation (not sure if I've covered the international version before, the JP variation is on the wiki I think).

Another interesting one exploits the mechanics danny mentioned. TheZZAZZGlitch documented it and how the animations of out of bounds menu sprites affect certain addresses incrementing by a certain value while you stay on the position, but only within specific criteria like the address pointer ending with a certain digit. This lead to a glitch to encounter specfic Pokémon after I tried to see if instant encounter is possible that way. The answer was yes, but apparently only in non-EN EU Red/Blue and every JP release, for the former, due to the memory addresses being +5 and meeting the criteria.

Specifically this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAgR8kqw6Hs
Based on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ3Nor_Obgs

I don't think its exhaustive (like Select glitches) as it seems with 255 main alterations, and there are likely ones discussed here or on YouTube before that I missed. Something such as one report of Blue bringing up a vending machine or mart (something like that) which could potentially be useful, although it would seem easier to abuse it with item underflow (e.g. the mart pwner glitch lucky published).