Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Why does glitch Pokemon (0xEB) print the letter "q" on screen? - Page 1

Why does glitch Pokemon (0xEB) print the letter "q" on screen?

Posted by: foodship9
Date: 2019-06-03 10:48:19
I was reading a glitch playthrough of pokemon blue and it seems like whenever this pokemon's name is on screen, the letter q appears on the screen. I noticed that q is in this pokemon's name bytes (32 4E 6D 4E B0 4E 12 4F D4 4F 50) and it seems like the q is always printed four lines below where the name should be printed. Is this because the first four characters are interpreted as new lines since they are out of bounds for normal display characters?

Re: Why does glitch Pokemon (0xEB) print the letter "q" on screen?

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-06-03 11:04:19

I was reading a glitch playthrough of pokemon blue and it seems like whenever this pokemon's name is on screen, the letter q appears on the screen. I noticed that q is in this pokemon's name bytes (32 4E 6D 4E B0 4E 12 4F D4 4F 50) and it seems like the q is always printed four lines below where the name should be printed. Is this because the first four characters are interpreted as new lines since they are out of bounds for normal display characters?

Hmm, sorry I don't know. I'll try to look into this when possible. :)

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-06-03 13:27:32
4E is the line break character, so with the two of those in the name combined with how message boxes look, it would make sense if the "q" appears four lines below.

Posted by: TheZZAZZGlitch
Date: 2019-06-03 13:36:40
0xEB's name is very interesting, because it features a lot of 0x4E and 0x4F control characters.

0x4E is the new line character. It moves the cursor two lines down. Why two lines? That's how textboxes are laid out!

[img]https://i.imgur.com/xfZaJp7.png[/img]

0x4F is a similar control character, but this one puts the cursor always at specific coordinates x=1, y=16.

The name is really: <garbage tile 0x32><new line><another garbage tile 0x6D><new line>q<new line><yet another garbage tile 0x12><move cursor to x=1,y=16><yet yet another glitchy tile 0xD4><move cursor to x=1,y=16 again>.

An interesting thing is that tile 0xD4 is empty, so it's invisible under normal circumstances. But there are some places where it can be seen. For example, try selecting 0xEB in the party screen and choose "SWITCH". The text in the textbox below will change to "Move Pokémon where?". Now cancel out. The "W" in "where" will disappear for a split second! That's because it got overwritten by the invisible tile 0xD4. Now you can't unsee it.

Lastly, here's a small map to finish it off :p

[img]https://i.imgur.com/SvnMwth.png[/img]

Posted by: foodship9
Date: 2019-06-04 09:25:49
Thanks for the explanation ZZAZZ! I wonder what kind of fun effects you could achieve by intentionally using these characters in pokemon or trainer names using gameshark or item pack manipulation.

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2019-06-04 22:20:45
infinite name, glitchy names, save corruption…

See the wiki page on Super Glitch and The BIG HEX list to mess with names.

A RAM map, BGB's debugger, the above two pages and lots of time will get you pretty close to understanding everything you need to know about names. And text in general, for that matter!

Also [uurl=https://youtu.be/E-CQS5B2sjY]here's some videos loosely related to the topic that may help too.