Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Rival LOL on international - Page 1

Rival LOL on international

Posted by: bwill11
Date: 2019-06-05 15:33:13
While trying to do the rival LOL glitch on Spanish Blue, The glitch usually worked, but I only ever got Missingno or Kingler. What might the difference be (rival name in underflow is in a different spot, the method is different, etc.)?

Re: Rival LOL on international

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-06-05 16:16:54
It seems to work the same way in the French versions as in the English ones if I'm reading PRAMA's page correctly (although I may not be), so I'd assume that would apply for the Spanish version too. That said, let's get the basics out of the way first: is your rival's name being printed on the screen? What is the fourth character in it? Parts of RAM are laid out differently in different localizations, but that doesn't seem to affect this glitch in particular, unless of course the wrong thing is being printed to the screen before using the 9E item.

Date: 2019-06-06 06:16:57
After looking up what the underflow items correspond to I found out that I was actually altering the second letter of my rival's name instead of the fourth. Whoops, I think that's what the issue is.

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2019-06-06 07:46:21
Hello,

Everything related to glitch stuff (items, Pokémon, etc.) is pretty much working the same in international releases, but sometimes in different ways. For example, an unterminated glitch item in English games might or might not be unterminated name in a French game. Likewise, a given glitch Pokémon evolving at lvl 35 in English games might be evolving into something different at lvl 6 in French games, etc.

For this reason, we cannot directly use the Glitchdexes performed for English games. Currently at PRAMA, we are trying to put some effort into dexes, as we started to do for Itemdex, Unowndex and Phonedex. But it takes a lot of time, especially for Glitch Pokémon :)

Date: 2019-06-06 08:18:30
Would it not work if the rival name is 7 letters instead of 6, and if it would not work, how would I change it to 6 (I assume I would just put a hex 00 glitch item into the slots, but I'm not sure)?

Date: 2019-06-06 08:35:55
You have many Rival's Name items and they are different. In French games, item hex:9B (R/B) can be used, for example, with a Rival's name of 6 letters, which allows to use the 6th letter of the name (corresponding to the quantity of item 25) or with a 7-letters Rival's name, and in this case we would manipulate the 5th letter (thus, the ID of item 25 and not its quantity).
It also can be used with Rival's names of 4 letters, 5 letters etc. but everytime with the necessity to manipulate a different letter and therefore a different item.

That to say that for every Rival's name glitch item, you can use Rival's Name of 4 to 11 letters, but you have to figure out which letter you would manipulate then.

Date: 2019-06-10 06:16:14
What determines the level of the Pokemon encountered with Rival LOL?

Date: 2019-06-10 07:13:26
It works the same way as any Cooltrainer/LOL corruption. The tile above you on the left (blue on the image below) would decide it, whatever it is when you do the glitch.

[img]https://www.prama-initiative.com/RBJ/ct3.PNG[/img]

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-06-10 16:36:08
I was about to say PRAMA seemed to beat us to that one before seeing it was already on the wiki, but again, only on the Cooltrainer page…GCL could really learn a lot from the way you've organized your site, although I'm not sure what a good way to incorporate aspects of that linear style would be.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-06-11 14:54:10

I was about to say PRAMA seemed to beat us to that one before seeing it was already on the wiki, but again, only on the Cooltrainer page…GCL could really learn a lot from the way you've organized your site, although I'm not sure what a good way to incorporate aspects of that linear style would be.

Yeah. I think actually we need an extensive visual CoolTrainer guide that's not too heavy on the eyes.

Private Pokémon speedrun circles did this before, and I think either lucky or Dabomstew shared an image similar to what Krys3000 did. I've always just said the Pokémon yield is BGB coordinate x=1 y=6, but without context it's hard to know; it may be better for instance saying where it is in relation to the Start menu/SGB border etc.

Like the expanded items pack, it would be good to document what each screen coordinate's tile affects (for both CoolTrainer and Super Glitch at the top of the move list). e.g. top-left 1 affects address xxyy, (…) last bottom-right affects address xxyy. But we'd need a better way of expressing it.