Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

When SRAM glitch Trainers encounter locked SRAM (featuring Lord Helix) - Page 1

When SRAM glitch Trainers encounter locked SRAM (featuring Lord Helix)

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-06-06 22:42:41
In Japanese Yellow v1.0 (which features one of the 'steal Pokémon' glitch items), there are three (natural) glitch Trainers with rosters sourced from SRAM.

0B A5 ;glitch/f8
A5 A5 ;glitch/fc
0E A5 ;glitch/fe

0x3a142

Unlike TheZZAZZGlitch's video, I wasn't able to have the SRAM unlocked when encountering them. However, if you try to encounter their roster 5 (01053AD0) and then use the 01xx36D0 code, something interesting happens depending on the contents of RAM at C000, where audio data is stored.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/ooMWKAw.png[/img]

Because presumably the music has to reset and then change to the Trainer battle music from the beginning, you possibly always get the same result; a Level 85 Omanyte, followed by Level 85 glitch Pokémon 0xE5, Jigglypuff, MissingNo. 0x45, and Eevee.

Something different can be said however if you are to force the sound bank to change to maps 1 (02), maps 2 (1F), Yellow only music (28). This can be done with codes 01xxEFC0, 01xxF0C0 but the effects are possibly achievable with arbitrary code execution to constantly write to those addresses.

02: Level 72 Omanyte, glitch Pokémon 0xDD, Jigglypuff, MissingNo. 0x3F, and Eevee.
1F: Level 75 Omanyte, glitch Pokémon 0xE3, Jigglypuff, Dragonite and Eevee.
28: Level 64 glitch Pokémon 0xF8, glitch Pokémon 0xDD, Jigglypuff, Venonat and Eevee.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/nYgHPOE.png[/img]

Exploring invalid sound banks may also yield more results.

Unfortunately you may not be able to fight this glitch Trainer due to freezing AI without the code 010118D0 in the middle of the battle (you could also use an ACE item within battle to set it).