Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

The Red/Green A (00) challenge - Page 1

The Red/Green A (00) challenge

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-06-07 12:20:52
I had a cool idea maybe we could challenge anyone interested in doing a A (00)  only run. :)

A (00) (at least in Red/Green v1.0) is among the weakest glitch Pokémon. Its back sprite can freeze the game (and apparently is more likely to do this on v1.0). Its base stats are: 0 HP, 1 Attack, 3 Defense, 0 Speed, 1 Special. Every level it will try to evolve into a Clefairy, which is an extra nuisance.

This said, A (00)  has a few qualities that save it. - It can learn Counter so it will be able to deal some damage. It can also learn Horn Drill (albeit at Level 127; I don't think that's a problem though because of Select glitches. You would need lots of X Speeds though, and if X Accuracies work exactly like the English version, one X Accuracy will always guarantee Horn Drill hits as long as you're faster and there is no type immunity). Hopefully its experience group does not keep it at Level 1. But if it does I guess it will be much much harder. -_-

Considering this as like a Nuzlocke run, you may have different preferences on the rules which is of course up to you:

1. I'm against Pokémon merge glitch and want to work on its 'natural' moves, but others may disagrees.
2. Given the nature of this glitch Pokémon, additional glitches to win may almost be a necessity. One example is exploiting infinite Rare Candies, another is using Select glitches and stat underflow (from Level 255 to 0) to temporarily top up its HP.
3. Some people may want to avoid battles and jump to credits, others win every battle. Some may want to abuse in-battle glitches like CoolTrainer to win.

Thoughts?

Re: The Red/Green A (00) challenge

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2019-06-07 14:41:26
First thing before you jump right into this: Why the crash?

Second: Can it be prevented?

(It seems inconsistent so…?)

Date: 2019-06-30 11:59:39

First thing before you jump right into this: Why the crash?

Second: Can it be prevented?

(It seems inconsistent so…?)

It might be bad sprite dimensions like other glitch Pokémon as a guess. You can avoid its bad backsprite by using v1.0 Red/Green instead of v1.1.

Posted by: Flandre Scarlet
Date: 2019-07-10 20:27:39
A bit late but I figured I might as well try and see how this challenge goes. Although Bulbapedia isn't the most accurate source for glitches they do have access to the formulas which are used for determining the stats a Pokemon will have, this allows us to determine what stats A (00) would have and if this challenge is even possible without other glitches to defeat trainers and such. At level 100 with max EVs and DVs the stats would be 204 HP 101 ATK 105 DEF 99 SPD and 101 SPC. Nothing amazing but certainly difficult even at max level. Beating anyone would require immense grinding or rare candy use to get to a high enough level. Spamming x items is also a necessity especially by the end of the game where most of the Pokemon will be able to 2 hit KO you. At level 255 the stats are 505 HP 250 ATK 260 DEF 240 SPD and 250 SPC. At that level things get a lot easier and you can reliably deal damage and take hits without much worry. Somewhere in the middle would probably be best for endgame challenge. The beginning is going to be a huge grind. If I calculated it right Misty's Starmie will do at least 50% of your health until level 30 using bubblebeam and Surge's Raichu will also be doing at lest 50% with Thunderbolt until level 41. This is assuming you get enough money to buy enough healing and x items, although I guess you could probably get lots of money and items by using more glitches.

Note I rounded up on most numbers so they may be off by 1.

TL;DR Its statistically possible but would be a very tedious run, I also don't know the moveset so its totally possible that whatever moves it gets are too useless for it to do anything until ridiculously high levels.

Date: 2019-07-11 15:16:31

A bit late but I figured I might as well try and see how this challenge goes. Although Bulbapedia isn't the most accurate source for glitches they do have access to the formulas which are used for determining the stats a Pokemon will have, this allows us to determine what stats A (00) would have and if this challenge is even possible without other glitches to defeat trainers and such. At level 100 with max EVs and DVs the stats would be 204 HP 101 ATK 105 DEF 99 SPD and 101 SPC. Nothing amazing but certainly difficult even at max level. Beating anyone would require immense grinding or rare candy use to get to a high enough level. Spamming x items is also a necessity especially by the end of the game where most of the Pokemon will be able to 2 hit KO you. At level 255 the stats are 505 HP 250 ATK 260 DEF 240 SPD and 250 SPC. At that level things get a lot easier and you can reliably deal damage and take hits without much worry. Somewhere in the middle would probably be best for endgame challenge. The beginning is going to be a huge grind. If I calculated it right Misty's Starmie will do at least 50% of your health until level 30 using bubblebeam and Surge's Raichu will also be doing at lest 50% with Thunderbolt until level 41. This is assuming you get enough money to buy enough healing and x items, although I guess you could probably get lots of money and items by using more glitches.

Note I rounded up on most numbers so they may be off by 1.

TL;DR Its statistically possible but would be a very tedious run, I also don't know the moveset so its totally possible that whatever moves it gets are too useless for it to do anything until ridiculously high levels.

Thanks! I'm happy you find this interesting and tried this too! ^^

Yeah, I learned too with the small amount of things you can do surprisingly there is just enough to do this without custom moves or Rare Candies, Level 101+. The one hit KO moves are a bonus and with X Accuracy, other X items it's not too difficult if at max stats (may be possible with the max stat glitch alteration of remaining HP glitch) or sufficient stat experience grinding it seems. The Elite Four run with maxed 0x00 was a lot easier than my Diamond male  Combee only run even when its stats are better (as it only learns Gust, Sweet Scent there without Platinum if I remember rightly(?)) where even at close to Level 100 Champion Cynthia required a bad number of soft resets. :(

Ouch, Starmie sounds like a pain. :/ Yeah it will be interesting to see where the most difficult parts are.

Posted by: bwill11
Date: 2019-07-25 09:59:26
So I might have found a glitch Pokemon that's even worse than this.
úäw ːɴ C (Hex E8) in Red/Blue ES is terrible. Its stats are better than A's- 0 hp, 20 attack, 177 defense, 0 speed, 16 special, and that defense is very high for the worst thing ever.

But what's more important is that its movepool is complete trash.
First off, it starts with a Super Glitch move so prime those 0x50 subtiles.
It also starts with Fly, which is sadly its best option, and Hypnosis and Dream eater, which overall requires RNG to be useful. A at least gets Guillotine and even STAB Body Slam before level 30. But not only does úäw ːɴ C have to rely on bad moves, it has to rely on 0x50 subtiles so the game doesn't completely blow up until you get TM12 in Mt. Moon,  which you can get rid of the Super Glitch move with.

Still, the stats still are a bit better,  and with A you have to deal with random crashes, so I think it's up in the air as to which sounds like a worse run.

Date: 2019-07-27 16:35:19

So I might have found a glitch Pokemon that's even worse than this.
úäw ːɴ C (Hex E8) in Red/Blue ES is terrible. Its stats are better than A's- 0 hp, 20 attack, 177 defense, 0 speed, 16 special, and that defense is very high for the worst thing ever.

But what's more important is that its movepool is complete trash.
First off, it starts with a Super Glitch move so prime those 0x50 subtiles.
It also starts with Fly, which is sadly its best option, and Hypnosis and Dream eater, which overall requires RNG to be useful. A at least gets Guillotine and even STAB Body Slam before level 30. But not only does úäw ːɴ C have to rely on bad moves, it has to rely on 0x50 subtiles so the game doesn't completely blow up until you get TM12 in Mt. Moon,  which you can get rid of the Super Glitch move with.

Still, the stats still are a bit better,  and with A you have to deal with random crashes, so I think it's up in the air as to which sounds like a worse run.
Would one be able to corrupt the moves either Pokemon has (without royally trashing the game's state) before TM12?

Posted by: bwill11
Date: 2019-07-27 17:06:06

Would one be able to corrupt the moves either Pokemon has (without royally trashing the game's state) before TM12?

I think maybe with Select glitches for A it's possible, but for úäw ːɴ C, I don't think so. Also, for A, why specifically before TM12?

Date: 2019-08-01 06:51:48

I think maybe with Select glitches for A it's possible, but for úäw ːɴ C, I don't think so. Also, for A, why specifically before TM12?
it was your example, and IIRC the earliest TM obtainable short of Brock's gym.