Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Hex F3 pokedex entry weirdness - Page 1

Hex F3 pokedex entry weirdness

Posted by: bwill11
Date: 2019-07-12 15:13:11
Glitch pokemon 0xF3 in Spanish Pokemon Blue has a super weird pokedex entry that causes the start menu to open in the pokedex (at least when I caught it with rival LOL), and doing things in the menu causes some weird effects-

-Literally doing anything glitches out the pokedex entry border
-leaving the menu without doing anything brings the player back to the overworld with a glitchy palette, as occurs often with rival LOL, but it is impossible to open the menu like normal and as a result the game is softlocked. A glitch Symphony also plays.
-F3 is a hybrid of Raichu, so Raichu's data will be added to the pokedex. Entering and exiting the pokedex will mess with the palette of the F3 entry, and exiting the menu after this will have the same effect as exiting without doing anything, minus the glitchy palette.
- Using a masterball will result in the player catching a Ditto. I already had a Ditto, so I don't know if it will result in a weird Ditto entry. After catching the Ditto, The player will be returned to the menu in the pokedex and it is possible to catch infinite Dittos this way. The ditto caught is similar to one caught in a dittoized encounter.
-F3 is not in your party or pc yet, so it will not appear in the Pokemon menu even if you have an empty space. Exiting the Pokemon menu crashes the game.
-trying to fly away crashes the game.
-Using P8 (which is functionally the same as 9f from English R/B) and then opening them menu will actually open an invisible menu instead, and exiting this menu will allow the player to fly away without crashing. Escaping the F3 entry with this method or any method will add Raichu's data to the pokedex, however F3 will be nowhere to be found. Catching F3 again after this will not bring you to the dex entry, so only then can you keep F3. 
-saving and resetting will return the player to the overworld upon starting the game again as if nothing ever happened. Just like with the P8 method of escaping the dex entry, Raichu's data will be added to the pokedex but F3 will not be anywhere.
-Using an unterminated name glitch item will result in some glitchy effects. The game will hang for about 25 seconds, the music will fade out, then the player will be returned to the menu. The music from the overworld will start playing, the cursor is now infinitely stuck over the items option. The player name is also corrupted. Also after using the unterminated name glitch item, where the Pokemon sprite should be in the F3 pokedex entry, several pokemon sprites appear and disappear, all with the Raichu palette and with sprites scrambled similar to how Missingno. scrambles sprites. The way I phrased that is confusing (and potentially misleading), but as an example, when I did it the first time, first a yellow scrambled Squirtle sprite appeared, then a Snorlax, then a Gengar. I tested this several times, but which pokemon and in what order are not consistent, however some sprites seem more common than others. The game is also now softlocked.

I initially considered putting this in the official gen 1 discussion (like with every other strange observation I've made), but I think that testing more things in the menu or testing F3 in other languages is significant enough for its own topic.

Re: Hex F3 pokedex entry weirdness

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-07-13 11:45:33
Nice find! It looks like this is another pseudo-LG. These the same 'battle escape' base effect as -Lg, 9F and related items, but can have other side effects as well.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/EsgH384.png[/img]

Curiously, this is not documented on the GlitchDex article's entry

https://glitchcity.info/wiki/GlitchDexES/RB:243

Perhaps the dex entry is from RAM or this behaviour is exclusive to Blue, not Red. Will attempt to replicate.

Date: 2019-07-13 17:22:20

Perhaps the dex entry is from RAM or this behaviour is exclusive to Blue, not Red. Will attempt to replicate.

I have no clue how the person who added the dex entry to the GlitchDexES got their information, though I do find it strange that the page has the dex entry but doesn't even have the starting moves or type. I tested this several times and it seems to be consistent, but if it is from RAM, maybe it's possible to get this effect from more easily obtained glitch pokemon.

Posted by: coloradohugge
Date: 2019-07-14 14:51:44

I have no clue how the person who added the dex entry to the GlitchDexES got their information, though I do find it strange that the page has the dex entry but doesn't even have the starting moves or type. I tested this several times and it seems to be consistent, but if it is from RAM, maybe it's possible to get this effect from more easily obtained glitch pokemon.

I added all the pages for the non-english GlitchDex including that one, the reason why there is no information other than the names and sprites is because it's a work in process. I wanted to at least add all the pages so we could get the wheel going with adding proper pages for all international Glitch Pokédex pages, they're being served as templets to add information along the way.

Date: 2019-07-15 12:22:26
Hex F0 has an infinite name, how did you get the Dex information for it?
Edit: the name isn't infinite, just obnoxiously long, but the game crashes while trying to load the dex so the question remains
Edit 2: the crash actually has nothing to do with the dex entry, but since the crash happens before the dex entry the question remains

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-07-15 13:29:33

Hex F0 has an infinite name, how did you get the Dex information for it?
Edit: the name isn't infinite, just obnoxiously long, but the game crashes while trying to load the dex so the question remains
Edit 2: the crash actually has nothing to do with the dex entry, but since the crash happens before the dex entry the question remains

I can't remember the specifics for that one. However, it seems to use either the 0x59 or 0x5A control character which would result in an infinite name depending on whether it tries to print the enemy's name (thus repeating itself and the "enem." string) or user's name.
There must have been a way of getting it. I'll look into it again for you.

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2019-07-15 15:51:18
I'd love to write scripts for parsing the tables and things for weird dex entries such as this but I dunno how the tables are structured so… that's kind of an issue.

I'll be right back, I have some tables to corrupt.

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-07-15 16:58:49
I wouldn't think it's too difficult. Just extrapolate from text/pokedex.asm and data/pokedex_entries.asm. Don't know what control character causes a pseudo-LG, though.

Posted by: coloradohugge
Date: 2019-07-16 00:52:19
Here's the link to that F0 thread back in 2014: https://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php?topic=7023.msg196279