Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Submerge glitch (Red/Blue/Yellow) - Encountering different unintended Pokémon - Page 1

Submerge glitch (Red/Blue/Yellow) - Encountering different unintended Pokémon

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-08-07 08:09:14
As of now, this is ACE only, which is a shame because all you have to do is change one byte.

This is a new variation of https://glitchcity.info/wiki/Grass/rock_Surfing_glitch (Italian/Spanish) based on address D535.

Like https://glitchcity.info/wiki/English_grass/rock_Surfing_glitch ; this works in English Red/Blue. I'm afraid I forgot what this does to the memory. Perhaps it is linked with D535 too.

Theory: Encounter any Trainer on a route with grass encounters and water but no default water encounters, then change address D535 ('grass tile') to 0x14. 0x14 is normally the water tile. If you are on a right facing shore tile (as compared to a left one; the one used in the old man glitch), you can also use that instead and change 0x14 accordingly to 0x54

Changing D535 to 0x14 and moving in water will make you look partially submerged, like this:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/jUKnhGe.png[/img]

It seems the game will now use the grass encounter rate (reading D535 as a grass tile) but the water encounter list.

This leads to lots of nice unintended encounters. Like old man overwriting grass table, Trainer roster data overwites the water table too. Mew may also possible with a Squirtle Trainer etc?

[img]https://i.imgur.com/Kf9jpwP.png[/img]

You can change D535 to 0x14 with arbitrary code execution (e.g. Lemonade x20 TM34 x 53 TM13 x 201) I'm wondering if however there are viable non-ACE ways to do this trick that wouldn't be obsoleted by Trainer escape glitch (not including the connection copier and invalid map scripts as they are closer to item ACE).

D535 may be hard to corrupt with Super Glitch as it is just too far away. It may work with multiple Super Glitches but would cause a lot of corruption and would likely freeze the game.

Re: Submerge glitch (Red/Blue/Yello) - Encountering different unintended Pokémon

Date: 2019-08-07 08:50:14
New find: This glitch works in Yellow with the 0x14 method! So we can get easier no-trade wild 3TrainerPoké now. Pikachu off-screen glitch corrupts D438 onward. Therefore, D535 may just be in reach(??)

Re: Submerge glitch (Red/Blue/Yellow) - Encountering different unintended Pokémon

Posted by: bwill11
Date: 2019-08-07 14:36:57
Nice find, though it is unfortunate that it is ACE only for now. I looked through the ItemDex, the GlitchDex and even some of the MetascriptDex for ideas on how to do this. Unfortunately the only idea I came up with was in Yellow version, Q;MP- sources its effects from ROM but is seemingly unpredictable, however it has been documented to change values in RAM, so with some more research into how it works Q;MP- might be used to change D535. There's also the possibility that one of the glitch map scripts in Yellow could work, but if that's the case there also needs to be a way to activate said map script while surfing.

A couple questions- How exactly do you manipulate the encounters (the grass/rock surfing glitch page doesn't explain anything other than that it's based on Trainer data, and has a link to a forum post on a website that doesn't seem to exist anymore), and how do you control the effects of Pikachu off-screen glitch?

Re: Submerge glitch (Red/Blue/Yellow) - Encountering different unintended Pokémon

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2019-08-09 00:36:28
Hey Torchickens,

Good job! I actually like the Connection Copier and have trouble understanding why people hate it now ^^

By using the Connection Copier to do this trick, you would not require ACE per se. It is true that Trainer Escape appears easier no matter what, but it has its limitations too so… I think it's still a great find!

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2019-08-09 08:03:37
wait, would an underflowed party's map corruption effect do the trick?

Date: 2019-08-11 08:08:38

Hey Torchickens,

Good job! I actually like the Connection Copier and have trouble understanding why people hate it now ^^

By using the Connection Copier to do this trick, you would not require ACE per se. It is true that Trainer Escape appears easier no matter what, but it has its limitations too so… I think it's still a great find!

Thanks! :) Yeah, with the connection copier and map script abuse it's not as difficult to bootstrap ACE to items now.

If referring to menu sprite animation abuse probably not unfortunately. However, with post-6 swaps/Select glitches yes. In Red/Green, swapping item/Pokémon 21 seems to affect the relevant address (with the value depending on the Pokémon you swap it with's Special stat experience or similar) however it may cause tileset corruption, so more research is needed to find water tiles.

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2019-08-12 07:09:54

Hey Torchickens,

Thanks! :) Yeah, with the connection copier and map script abuse it's not as difficult to bootstrap ACE to items now.

If referring to menu sprite animation abuse probably not unfortunately. However, with post-6 swaps/Select glitches yes. In Red/Green, swapping item/Pokémon 21 seems to affect the relevant address (with the value depending on the Pokémon you swap it with's Special stat experience or similar) however it may cause tileset corruption, so more research is needed to find water tiles.
Yeah, I was thinking of >6 party poison corruptions.

Posted by: metalmario32
Date: 2019-08-28 12:49:16
Nice find! On the subject of Pikachu off-screen glitch, D535 is in reach, but Pikachu off-screen only corrupts values to 01-04. I'll need to test it.

Date: 2019-08-29 02:00:04

Nice find! On the subject of Pikachu off-screen glitch, D535 is in reach, but Pikachu off-screen only corrupts values to 01-04. I'll need to test it.

Thanks! :) Yeah, true and it's quite far away too/unfortunately I had trouble with the Glitch Cities/freezes. Pikachu off-screen glitch lets you corrupt values other than 01-04 if you shift them back (also allowing 0xFF on the trail of bytes filled). This is done by making Pikachu run back to you. Theoretically you may be able to shift 0x14 data back if the map has it this way (you can get Mew in the Trainer data this way for instance by doing it on Route 15 as LanceAndMissingno. found, probably from Level 21 in the Trainer data).