Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Game bugs out at Cinnabar when fixing dry PC underflow - Page 1

Game bugs out at Cinnabar when fixing dry PC underflow

Posted by: riggedfeelings
Date: 2019-08-15 13:49:08
Found an old Pokemon Red cartridge, I figured I would try performing TheZZAZZGlitch's "polymorphic 8F bootstrap".
I ran into a problem finding the correct trainer to perfom the Ditto glitch on to obtain 'a' (C0), so I used dry PC underflow [like demonstrated in ChickasaurusGL's (or, Torchic Owl Lover here) video on a trainer-less Ditto glitch] to obtain it.
Everything was fine from there, I completed the bootstrap, and wanted to deposit my items to prepare other items to run code from 8F. I forgot I used dry PC underflow, (luckily saved before fixing the it) and deposited a few items to return it to normal.
I noticed something strange afterward, because when I fixed the PC box, any attempt to enter Cinnabar Island either locks me in place or immediately crashes the game. It seems this only affects Cinnabar Island and not other maps, including Cinnabar's Pokemon Center. Did I somehow harm the map's data in any way (or, is there any workaround)?
(No, I don't believe I edited any item past 50 in the PC before fixing it, only the one I was told. Also, if it helps any, I can still access Cinnabar normally before I restore the box, it only crashes afterwards.)

Re: Game bugs out at Cinnabar when fixing dry PC underflow

Posted by: bwill11
Date: 2019-08-15 14:40:36
You probably deposited an item that altered map data of some kind when added to a stack of items in the expanded pc (or if the stack was 100 or more, indicated by something that's not a number showing up in the first digit, adding another to the stack will decrease the stack to 99 and create another stack with the remains). I'm not sure what changed, but if you only deposit items that don't appear anywhere in the expanded pc, it shouldn't alter anything (other than having the expanded pc of course). If you have key items that you don't need for anything anymore, use those since they won't ever be added to a stack.
also, a few things to make things easier-
1.The idea of the polymorphic 8f bootstrap is you don't catch an "a" (C0), but instead catch easier to obtain Pokemon and change a Pokemon into "a", as well as another glitch Pokemon. You don't need the ditto trick at all.
2. There isn't a specific trainer necessary for the Trainer escape glitch and ditto trick, any trainer that has max vision range will work, as explained on the trainer escape glitch page on the wiki. If there are no max vision range trainers left then you can use a deathwarp from a wild encounter in front of a trainer, but if you can't do that anywhere then the trainerless ditto trick is necessary.

Posted by: riggedfeelings
Date: 2019-08-15 16:49:12
Huh, been led to believe only certain trainers will work with the glitch since most to all methods I've seen only mention and use at most 5 trainers as ways to activate it.

I tried depositing my Town Map and Cinnabar is loading correctly now. I'm still wonky about this so I'm checking a few more times haha.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2020-03-20 08:59:41
The only Trainer escape maps possible (so far) are the ones in MetascriptDex; typically via script 01 of that map (note: 01 may be unlisted on that dex because it is kind of in limbo between glitch and intended mechanism). For example, script 1 in Route 3 works, script 1 in other maps like the towns and cities do not (they have no trainers. I think the game expects a write to D059 as a trainer/one of the reason the whole glitch technique works.) Bwill11 is right in that you can alter map data; these include 'metascripts'; a type of global map script that has more permanence than D36E scripts. Additionally, depending on the location of the first FF I wonder if depositing the item incremented something else, possibly Cinnabar Island's meta script. (alluding to 99 item stack glitch)