Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Potentially useful (or just cool) glitch text - Page 1

Potentially useful (or just cool) glitch text

Posted by: bwill11
Date: 2019-09-01 10:22:31
Post any useful or cool glitch text you find here.

In Pokemon Yellow, glitch textbox 0x22 in the player's house causes a potentially useful buffer overflow. It prints as a textbox that wraps around the screen, so if you mentally divide the screen into thirds, it takes up the first and third thirds of the screen after a second it prints a bit of cool glitch text and after it's done you can close it. It corrupts your party to have more than 6 Pokemon (I don't know exactly how many), but it does not crash when opening the party menu and does not corrupt box data, so it might be a useful way to get more than 6 party pokemon without ACE or the SRAM glitch. Note that I was using theZZAZZglitch's debug hack when doing this, so I think that it might be helpful to test on a regular ROM or cartridge.

Re: Potentially useful (or just cool) glitch text

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2019-09-01 10:34:35

Post any useful or cool glitch text you find here.

In Pokemon Yellow, glitch textbox 0x22 in the player's house causes a potentially useful buffer overflow. It prints as a textbox that wraps around the screen, so if you mentally divide the screen into thirds, it takes up the first and third thirds of the screen after a second it prints a bit of cool glitch text and after it's done you can close it. It corrupts your party to have more than 6 Pokemon (I don't know exactly how many), but it does not crash when opening the party menu and does not corrupt box data, so it might be a useful way to get more than 6 party pokemon without ACE or the SRAM glitch.
Hpw would you trigger it, without ACE, though?
(also number of party Pokemon is at D162 or so)

Date: 2019-09-01 11:04:54

Hpw would you trigger it, without ACE, though?
(also number of party Pokemon is at D162 or so)

Text pointer manipulation, probably using the expanded item bag.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-09-01 15:44:43
Nice find ^^. I've made a method for you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqF-EDuoC_E

Enjoy :)

If you have a memory viewer it can be done much faster. Go to Pallet Town Red's house 1F, set D36B to 48 41, and speak to mom.

For me, number of Pokémon was set to 124 (0x7C) using this method. Additionally the player name was corrupted, the inventory replaced with a Bike Voucher at the top and the automatic A-press effect enabled.

Unfortunately if you have a six character name, this will break the terminator; causing saving the game to erase the save file. So using a shorter name is a workaround for that, or theoretically doing expanded party swaps/Super Glitch to fix it afterwards.

Date: 2019-09-02 15:30:54
I checked the GlitchDex and 4, (DD) increases the quantity of item 6 by 64, allowing you to do this without clogging the PC box with 19 silph scopes. Also, now that I think about it, I got the automatic A press effect too, is there any way to fix it?