Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Odd Pokédex Glitch - Page 1

Odd Pokédex Glitch

Posted by: James-the-Charizard
Date: 2019-09-05 20:39:12
So while I was testing 0xDC's Pokédex data, somehow this happened and I have no clue what happened… (I had used one of the many backsprites of 0xC7 for this Pokédex data to happen…at least I think it caused it.) :???:

Re: Odd Pokédex Glitch

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-09-05 22:53:49
RB:220's Pokédex data comes from RAM address AA00, so if SRAM is locked (which it should be most of the time), reading it will return FF bytes instead of whatever's there when you save or load. Thus you get "9" tiles all over the place in various similar circumstances.

Date: 2019-09-06 06:09:26
I did know of the locked ram possibilities, whats baffled me is the glitching up near the height/weight portion, with what looks like a glitchy combo of sprites…

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-09-10 10:41:52

I did know of the locked ram possibilities, whats baffled me is the glitching up near the height/weight portion, with what looks like a glitchy combo of sprites…

Hmm that's interesting.

With the lower ID name characters they will take them from the loaded sprite data. So what appears to be a combo of sprites may be a combination of glitch text, and they may be in that position because of a series of line related control characters in just the right places.

A way to analyse it could be to replicate it then see what's at AA00 when it isn't locked by setting a breakpoint on read access when the Pokédex is brought up, copy and paste the bytes to see what the data is.

Here is how to find a breakpoint. https://glitchcity.info/wiki/Breakpoint

Then you can view AA00 and it should mirror the Pokédex data if after the emulator pauses it's the exact occurrence it's used for this.

Date: 2019-09-10 11:40:02
Intriguing… Thanks for the insight! Ive done many many tests using varying backsprites of Pokémon (namely 0xC7 & 0x00) and either got long dexes, lock-ups (either from music or buffer overflows with 99999999…), or game crashes, but that effect Ive yet to reproduce… I also didnt save a state. Whoopsy… ._.'

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-09-10 11:43:38

Intriguing… Thanks for the insight! Ive done many many tests using varying backsprites of Pokémon (namely 0xC7 & 0x00) and either got long dexes, lock-ups (either from music or buffer overflows with 99999999…), or game crashes, but that effect Ive yet to reproduce… I also didnt save a state. Whoopsy… ._.'

You're welcome ^^ I see :( hope you can get it again. :)

Date: 2019-09-10 11:48:35
I'll look into it, for sure. >vO I still wanna test other unstable backsprite Pokémon for more unique results (namely 0xED). Certainly makes for a good time killer. :P