Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

The aftereffects of Glitch Trainer 0xFD - Page 1

The aftereffects of Glitch Trainer 0xFD

Posted by: James-the-Charizard
Date: 2019-09-13 21:21:34
So 0xFD in the TrainerDex. Ive battled him a few times and while his AI in battle is stable (just spamming Guard Special), it seems as though once he is defeated, something trashes the data, causing major effects (mainly name being overly long) and after it dropped me in what looks like a glitch city version of the Celadon Department Store. Does the prize money pointers have anything to do with this? (Referring to too much prize money, which can cause the ZZAZZ glitch.)

Re: The aftereffects of Glitch Trainer 0xFD

Posted by: bbbbbbbbba
Date: 2019-09-14 04:10:59
I think I've found out the culprit. After a battle, the game copies the enemy trainer's name in a weird way (disassembly). According to this table, the 0xFD trainer's name should come from $9481, which is in the VRAM. Since this copy is until a 0x50 terminator, mass corruption happens.

Edit: I think I've found out why the game does this, too. In the Japanese version, some trainer names actually have an abbreviated version that is used as dialog tags (video). Presumably the entries in TrainerNamePointers that aren't wTrainerName were originally those abbreviations in the Japanese version.

Re: The aftereffects of Glitch Trainer 0xFD

Posted by: James-the-Charizard
Date: 2019-09-14 06:27:22
No wonder the game falls apart, either the name is too long and its overwrites the 0x50, or there isnt one in that section of VRAM. Either way it trashed the game completely, I couldnt move anywhere after the battle and menus were invisible.