Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Beat Brock% - Page 1

Beat Brock%

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-10-11 21:34:10
Spent more than half of yesterday on a Shenanagans stream. It was a chill sellout for a while with a "Glitchless Venusaur before Brock" run that took six hours, with the bonus of stopping evolution once if he got 25 additional subs (he got 26, so in the end a good sellout idea). On the way, though, he decided to use one hand to do the same run glitched on a physical GBA, and then to do the same run with save corruption. Once the Venusaur countdown was over, he decided to take the second idea further. (Even with one hand and some bad luck with Special stats for trainer escape, the first one took less than half an hour. :P )

The route would have been way too freeze-prone (and it froze very frequently already) if he went for Venusaur in particular, so it turned into a "Beat Brock%" run, which him, Stringflow, and Decon routed and optimized over the course of the next three hours, amounting to success: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIT07EYHaCA .

The ridiculous speed with which those three worked through such complicated obstacles with sustained coordination as notes and commentary kept getting passed back and forth was worthy of awe, to say the least. I didn't even realize how much time had passed once it was over, and that's something even my absolute favorite things can't ever make me say.

The fact Charizard 'M learns Dragon Rage was the crux of the run, and surely enough the most linked-to place after Pastebin was our site. :) Maybe I should have logged in and rallied a few of you up…but if you haven't already, definitely keep an eye on this sort of stuff; it's helped popularize glitchology more than anything else.

Re: Beat Brock%

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2020-01-09 16:04:54
That sounds like a fun run! :)

Re: Beat Brock%

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2020-01-10 16:24:16

That sounds like a fun run! :)
It was fun to watch being routed, that's for sure. Most routing is probably very tedious in comparison to "meme runs". I still haven't done it myself, though, and don't plan to. Blindly following a list of inputs over and over until it goes right in a game I've already looked at for thousands of hours isn't my thing; I got my share of it already grinding other routes, in case I wasn't sure.