Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Game Crash Averted? - Page 1

Game Crash Averted?

Posted by: James-the-Charizard
Date: 2019-10-11 21:38:23
(Reposted in an attempt to fix image issues, but it failed…)
So while testing the glitch trainer 0xC8 (better known as Jacred) to see possible unique names, I accidentally encountered him in the grass of Viridian Forest, but he didn't crash the game oddly. Note this was done from Pokémon Red, where normally wild invalid glitch trainers crash the game.

Re: Game Crash Averted?

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-10-11 21:54:54

normally wild invalid glitch trainers crash the game.
Not purely by virtue of being glitch trainers, though. Consider the ZZAZZ glitch (and Jacred inventory corruption); the effects can be game-breaking if you don't add a terminator to your name before saving, but like any other effect, they're traceable.

It's also possible your emulator doesn't handle all the possible details of invalid game states properly if it's a phone one.

Date: 2019-10-11 22:01:12

Not purely by virtue of being glitch trainers, though. Consider the ZZAZZ glitch (and Jacred inventory corruption); the effects can be game-breaking if you don't add a terminator to your name before saving, but like any other effect, they're traceable.

It's also possible your emulator doesn't handle all the possible details of invalid game states properly if it's a phone one.

"Possible details of invalid game states", does that mean game crashes?

Date: 2019-10-11 22:07:48

Handling of invalid opcodes is the first thing that comes to mind. ZZAZZ (I mean the person this time) made a follow-up video to the famous "4 4 Hy's true cry" that explained why it was possible on the ever-maligned VBA that might have more to add, though, if you're interested.

Date: 2019-10-11 22:15:33

Handling of invalid opcodes is the first thing that comes to mind. ZZAZZ (I mean the person this time) made a follow-up video to the famous "4 4 Hy's true cry" that explained why it was possible on the ever-maligned VBA that might have more to add, though, if you're interested.

I may be interested in the future, occasionally (very rarely though) I use VBA on my laptop. As for my main emulator, it can run into invalid (or unknown is the term?) opcodes, it's happened with 0xDC's Pokédex entries a few times and once with 0xF1's backsprite caused the game to halt.

Date: 2019-10-11 23:00:07

I may be interested in the future, occasionally (very rarely though) I use VBA on my laptop. As for my main emulator, it can run into invalid (or unknown is the term?) opcodes, it's happened with 0xDC's Pokédex entries a few times and once with 0xF1's backsprite caused the game to halt.
Both terms work. The possible bytes exist, but the hardware knows it's supposed to lock up if it tries to read one as an instruction. The Virtual Console interprets them all as nops, but that emulator can at least be called official. An emulator that keeps the game running after hitting one is just being inaccurate.

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2019-10-11 23:26:42

Just noticed you're using VBA.

No.

http://bgb.bircd.org/

Date: 2019-10-12 08:28:26

Just noticed you're using VBA.

No.

http://bgb.bircd.org/

For the record, it's dormant on my computer anyways. I haven't used it in a long time.