Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Pokémon Yellow: lazy trainer, won't walk anymore - Page 1

Pokémon Yellow: lazy trainer, won't walk anymore

Posted by: DavidBevi
Date: 2019-10-30 20:39:39
Hello wonderful people!
Today I experienced a problem, but luckily I found out the solution, and I would like to document it for those who (like me) experience this problem and are not able to find a solution on the web. Fear no more!

Since YouTube is a thing I did a video.
https://youtu.be/nDbzFZ0sOdQ

Beware: the video is on an Italian VC version, but I first experienced the problem on an emulated USA ROM. I cannot test the solution on the USA version right now, but I think it works.

Feel free to improve what I've done, add keywords, or also redo what I've done in a better way. Below is the title and description of the video.

I want to point out that I'm new to glitching, I met this forum and this community 2 days ago, I fell in love with you, and opened this account just to make a (small) contribution. Thank you!

Pokemon Yellow: trainer not moving (Pokémon Giallo: allenatore immobile)

ENG: this video shows a problem and its solution.
Cause: improperly executed Trainer Escape Glitch with the trainer on route 24 (https://glitchcity.info/wiki/Trainer_escape_glitch).
Problem: the trainer won't move anymore when the player enters into its range.
Solution shown: go to Pewter City, talk to the NPC that leads you to the museum (if you select "no"). INFO: This solution doesn't require a battle, and it's repeatable indefinitely.
Solution 2: battle a second trainer (doesn't matter if you win or lose). INFO: This solution requires a battle; if you win you will not be able to use the same second trainer again.
Both solutions will end properly the glitch, restore the trainer's proper behaviour, and let the player use the trainer again for the Trainer Escape Glitch.

ITA: il video documenta un problema con la relativa soluzione.
Causa: glitch fuga da allenatore sul percorso 24 eseguita male (https://glitchcity.info/wiki/Trainer_escape_glitch)
Problema: l'allenatore suddetto non si muove più quando si entra nuovamente nel suo campo visivo.
Soluzione: parlare con un personaggio a Plumbeopoli, che chiede se hai visitato il museo e porta il giocatore davanti all'entrata del museo (rispondendo "no"). INFO: Metodo ripetibile.
Soluzione alternativa: entrare in una lotta con un secondo allenatore e uscirne (non ha importanza se vincendo o perdendo). INFO: Metodo ripetibile SOLO perdendo con il secondo allenatore.
Perché succede (spiegato in maniera spicciola): il gioco non fa muovere l'allenatore sul percorso 24 perché il gioco crede che il giocatore sia in battaglia. Parlare con lui, con un altro allenatore (non ancora battuto), o con il personaggio a Plumbeopoli sono gli unici metodi per fare uscire il giocatore dallo stato "in battaglia", e ripristinare il normale comportamento degli allenatori a lunga distanza.

Re: Pokémon Yellow: lazy trainer, won't walk anymore

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2019-10-31 00:17:21
Hey! Welcome to the Lab!

We've, uh…
We've known about this for forever. We even know specifically why.
https://youtu.be/RkKatd72PiQ

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-10-31 06:43:01
Hi DavidBevi, welcome! :) Thank you for your research and video! I will watch it. That's fine you're new to glitching! We need more glitchers like you.  ^^ ~

Yes the cause is going back to the original route you escaped from. When you 'escape' from the Trainer, it disables walking because the Trainer never finished walking (Hacky revealed this to us). This is why being guided by museum guy, gym guy, fighting another trainer (on another non affected route) or Oak, and pushing a boulder, maybe other scripted movement like Lance's room reenables walking, so sorry this is known.

Changing boxes, resetting reenables buttons but not walking allowing for glitch meta map script activation if you beat that trainer while the map is active in script 01 mode (encounter active via text box, except walking needs to have finished for it to apply on that map). If on a route with script 00 etc. you can't get a Trainer escape Special encounter/do text box matching until setting it up (provided it has the common script 01) or flying away from a Trainer the 'classic' way.

Posted by: DavidBevi
Date: 2019-10-31 08:22:27

We've, uh…
We've known about this for forever.

I didn't knew it, but I suspected it ;D. Thanks for the video!

pushing a boulder

Wow, I didn't know about it, thanks for the insights!!! I love your attitude and your free flowers!

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-10-31 09:18:51
You're very welcome. ^^ ~ Thank you David. :) happy you like them!