Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Unused Female Symbol on Pokemon Yellow Title Screen - Page 1

Unused Female Symbol on Pokemon Yellow Title Screen

Posted by: TheAwesomer
Date: 2019-11-03 06:24:01
I noticed while messing around with the debug rom that ZZAZZglitch made, that a 1-pixel-thick female symbol is loaded into VRAM whilst you are on the title screen, despite going unused. I havent tried this with the original Yellow rom yet but I can't imagine it not also being there too.

I am pressed for time so apologies if this doesn't make sense or is already known about, I dont have time to check yet.

Re: Unused Female Symbol on Pokemon Yellow Title Screen

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2019-11-03 11:45:28

I noticed while messing around with the debug rom that ZZAZZglitch made, that a 1-pixel-thick female symbol is loaded into VRAM whilst you are on the title screen, despite going unused. I havent tried this with the original Yellow rom yet but I can't imagine it not also being there too.

I am pressed for time so apologies if this doesn't make sense or is already known about, I dont have time to check yet.
I know it's there, but idk if it's been documented anywhere either.

Posted by: bbbbbbbbba
Date: 2019-11-03 12:01:29
Aren't they (the male symbol and the "6" on the row below) just from the default font?

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2019-11-03 12:05:21

Aren't they (the male symbol and the "6" on the row below) just from the default font?
If you look carefully, they're different.

Date: 2019-11-03 13:03:14

If you look carefully, they're different.

I think it's more likely that the symbol was distorted in the screenshot because it was resized to an awkward size.

Posted by: TheAwesomer
Date: 2019-11-04 11:14:02
Non-distorted versions of the female and 6 symbols

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-11-04 11:22:42
Looked into it. Apparently it's a bug in all versions of Yellow, not just the debug patch, where before copying the copyright tiles to the screen, it loads too many of them before calling CopyVideoData, even though the copyright text string is properly terminated. So that's why they'd be in VRAM.

Source.

Date: 2019-11-04 17:10:23

Looked into it. Apparently it's a bug in all versions of Yellow, not just the debug patch, where before copying the copyright tiles to the screen, it loads too many of them before calling CopyVideoData, even though the copyright text string is properly terminated. So that's why they'd be in VRAM.

Source.

That line is irrelevant, no? It only copies one more tile which is an "A".

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-11-04 17:44:19

Source.

Well, shoot, stuff like that's still completely flying over my head. Though I don't see a more clearly relevant line.

Date: 2019-11-04 19:01:11

Source.

Well, shoot, stuff like that's still completely flying over my head. Though I don't see a more clearly relevant line.

This line loads the entire default font into the VRAM. Subsequent code overwrites most of it, but not the female symbol and the "6".