Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Spawn a TheHooked Pokemon - Page 1

Spawn a TheHooked Pokemon

Posted by: Beppe1509
Date: 2019-11-28 11:12:34
So i was just playing as normal and trying some hexes and i just decided to analyze the "The HOOKED Dragonite" glitch and found that if you use the debugger or any mem editor you can spawn any pokemon with The Hooked message,

You gotta go to D059 and put the Hexadecimal of the pokemon you want Hooked and then at the value D05F put 8E, close the debugger and BOOM

Thanks for viewing and test it  ;)

Re: Spawn a TheHooked Pokemon

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-11-28 11:41:46

So i was just playing as normal and trying some hexes and i just decided to analyze the "The HOOKED Dragonite" glitch and found that if you use the debugger or any mem editor you can spawn any pokemon with The Hooked message,

You gotta go to D059 and put the Hexadecimal of the pokemon you want Hooked and then at the value D05F put 8E, close the debugger and BOOM

Thanks for viewing and test it  ;)

Nice post. While this is known, I think some of us may be unaware. Yes, D05F is the 'is hooked?' address; and values 1 through 255 work too.

Hooked Metapod occurs with the unterminated name items because the CD6D>CF4B buffer corruption, with the right screen data touches both D059 and D05F. Automatic A pressing (a reason why sometimes we can't see hooked Metapod) is also caused by corruption of D05A (the "encounter system"; because old man has to automatically press A).

The reason why hooked Metapod is usually just that, is because D059 there is sourced from a menu border sprite (hex:7C) which must be there in the normal corruption methods (except maybe for the glitch "oobLG" but I've forgotten whether these are hooked, they may be), unless you are using the Japanese version where the hooked Pokémon with unterminated name glitch items can be anything. Additionally as you addressed, more Pokémon that hooked Metapod are possible with the 'invalid path'/Pewter museum guide/Pewter NPC guide/possibly Oak too glitches.