Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Turn on computer in viridian forest with glitchzone - Page 1

Turn on computer in viridian forest with glitchzone

Posted by: Scroogeduck
Date: 2019-12-26 14:16:04
Hey guys :)

I dont know if this is documentated somewhere?, if yes sorry for double posting.

I played a little bit around and found this.
(Tested in german version of pokemon red).

I started a new game and walked to viridian forest. There i used the option to escape from the last trainer for a "glitchzone*. So back in viridian town i walked to the market and clicked the "Pokemon stuff" (please check pictures). Now when i go back to viridian forest (without encountering any pokemon) i can use the item computer before encountering a pokemon.

I tested this with another save file later in game with a glitchzone in marmoria city, but it didnt work. I tried the same market but it wont work. I used a lot of glitches in the save file so im not sure if this is the problem or if this really works only at the beginning of the game?

And can someone tell me if there is something else what we can use in glitchzone? Maybe is there an option to turn on pokemon computer to use boxes and change pokemon party?

Best regards
Scroogeduck

Re: Turn on computer in viridian forest with glitchzone

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2019-12-26 21:40:36
This is what's known as "Textbox ID Matching" and is a subset of the trainer-escape glitch.

Posted by: TheZZAZZGlitch
Date: 2019-12-28 13:11:35
More exactly, you're calling special textbox commands 0xF6 through 0xFF by using textbox ID matching.
This can be used for many things: showing glitch marts, Pokémon Center dialogs, PC menus, Game Corner menus and so on. This video might explain more about this glitch and how you can get some of those other things to happen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKpzsp9s0QQ
(shameless self-promotion)

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2019-12-29 02:57:34

More exactly, you're calling special textbox commands 0xF6 through 0xFF by using textbox ID matching.
This can be used for many things: showing glitch marts, Pokémon Center dialogs, PC menus, Game Corner menus and so on. This video might explain more about this glitch and how you can get some of those other things to happen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKpzsp9s0QQ
(shameless self-promotion)
ah s**t there's the vid, i couldn't find any on the topic despite remembering several being made.
(If you hadn't, I would've eventually…)

Posted by: Scroogeduck
Date: 2020-01-01 08:38:37
Hey guys
Thanks very much for the answers and the link :)… absolutely cool :).

Have a good start into the new year.

Best regards
Scroogeduck

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2020-02-08 12:06:24
Yes it's called text box ID matching as Parzival mentioned. :) Somewhere in the higher, hardware sensitive RAM (see here) is a universal text box address ($FF8C has seemed to be the one in question, which I seem to have found on the error message article by someone on Bulbapedia) and tested. During Trainer escape glitch, it's also stored at CF13 (note both of these addresses are subject to error but they seem to be the ones). When you open the Start menu, it sets it to an ID (00? or maybe 01?) that's usually the Start menu. However, chatting to other things can change it.

Now, when you get the turn on the computer; it's sometimes because of how text encoding works, and PCs can be accessed by glitches, or maybe valid PCs in the area too. Basically, F9, FC and FD are different PCs (normal, items and Pokémon only). "Pokémon only" is unused, with "Switch on!" text with it. It seems during development it was planned for Bill's House in meta map script activation at
W_BILLSHOUSECURSCRIPT:: ; d661. At the time I noted it on this wiki page, it was script 0x05.