Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Giovanni Disappeared from Silph Co. [3DS VC Blue] - Page 1

Giovanni Disappeared from Silph Co. [3DS VC Blue]

Posted by: Turtle
Date: 2020-01-21 22:28:06
Hey guys,

I've cleared through most of Silph Co. normally, except for the rocket on the east side of 11F, who I used to catch a couple of Mews using the trainer-fly glitch (by losing to his first Pokemon). That is the only glitch I've used on this VC. Now, Giovanni's sprite is nowhere to be seen on the map, and when I enter the room through either tile, his text box and lines are displayed, but when the text boxes close, the game freezes waiting for Giovanni to reach the player.
I've attached a reference image of the Silph 11F layout and trainer-fly results, as well as Giovanni being gone on my game. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Turtle

Re: Giovanni Disappeared from Silph Co. [3DS VC Blue]

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2020-01-21 23:21:10
If I found out one of my evil lackeys somehow had access to various Pokemon of which there is supposedly only one in the world, I wouldn't stick around some business plaza waiting for a 10-year-old to kick my ass either.

Posted by: Raven Freak
Date: 2020-01-22 20:00:03
The trainer escape glitch has been known to remove overworld sprites. I've discovered that, if you use the trainer escape glitch you can remove Snorlax without needing a Pokeflute in the route bellow Lavender. It looks like you probably encountered the same glitch I'm afraid, but instead Giovanni's sprite was removed from the map.

Date: 2020-01-22 20:04:58

It looks like you probably encountered the same glitch I'm afraid, but instead Giovanni's sprite was removed from the map.

Is there any way to get the sprite back on the map? (Preferably without ACE)

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2020-01-23 05:40:24
Thanks for this Turtle. While Trainer escape removes overworld sprites, this specific one is new to me. Paco81 had a Silph Co. method of sorts, about the Master Ball event. I wonder if it's related. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59LRIUJueZg

It looks like you probably encountered the same glitch I'm afraid, but instead Giovanni's sprite was removed from the map.

Is there any way to get the sprite back on the map? (Preferably without ACE)

Unsure but possibly PC items beyond slot 50, or if that fails I don't discount a buffer overflow technique could let you. Also you can use connection copier; but that's almost as powerful as arbitrary code execution (RAM copier); therefore simulates a GameShark. What you're looking for may be under "missable objects" in the disassembly.

Date: 2020-01-23 13:38:12
I'm looking into this for you. Will need some time as I stop using technology at 8PM now. Will try to see if we can combine your glitch with Pacoo81's to do something; hopefully infinite Master Balls. Maybe altering event flags with a trick could work to do that too. Also if you want Giovanni back, the following may be of help; but the person who wrote it did it in Japanese. I'll try anyway to find it, then the "GameShark simulation ACE code" could write to that address to bring Giovanni back.  The order might be similar or the same, but needs verification.

Date: 2020-01-23 23:02:10
Quick Update: I've tried to replicate this with mGBA, but I couldn't get the sprite to disappear using either of the Rockets on 11F. I didn't try very hard, though, so someone else might find a reliable way to do this.

Date: 2020-01-24 04:31:37
Thanks for testing. I think the exact mechanism why they disappear is related to a buffer (and matching text boxes), as TheZZAZZGlitch noted. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYNqXzTKzcw

Edit 1: OK have one video, but still trying to replicate your trick, sorry that don't have video yet for disabling/enabling him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nOC6NipNOo
Edit 2: On this note, the flag in D838 is checked for if you have the Master Ball. If you have it, that's bit 0x5 (bit 0 is 1) or hex:20. Therefore, using ACE to set D838 to 00 is a way to get infinite Master Balls from the Silph Co. president.
Edit 3: Trying to get the sprite to disappear now. D5A6 is called the "bit array of missable objects" according to the Disassembly; is marked with "ds 39" (the size of the array?)

Date: 2020-01-24 10:04:29
OK I've found out what to do. Set D5BC to 0x80 or higher. That's all you need to do to re-enable Giovanni (edit: for me at least). So you can do that with arbitrary code execution, or set up dry underflow glitch in the PC, followed by modification of PC item 57 (I'll try to verify). Any TM should work because they have high IDs (HM01-TM55 are 0xC4-0xFF) so to clarify TM01, TM02, TM03 would all work etc.

Edit: Sorry I made a mistake. 0x80+ seems to be when he's gone, so if that item is a TM/HM, replace it with a non-TM/HM that doesn't range between 0x80 and 0xBF on the Big List, such as Potion. If it is Cancel (0xFF) though you may have to do a delete Cancels trick. Set D5BC to under 0x80, which is one of the quantities possibly PC item 67 or next to it. Sorry for the false call. Hope this helps! :)