Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Looking into JP Red/Green Missingno. - Page 1

Looking into JP Red/Green Missingno.

Posted by: jctitan48
Date: 2020-03-16 09:30:12
Lately, I been doing things related to glitch Pokemon in the Japanese Red/Green games. I used cheat codes to freeze the sound bank to $08 so I'd prevent crashes related to those sound banks. I encountered Missigno., and well…

After some weird sounds, it corrupted all of the memory areas nearly up to the box data (around $DA5D)! It must be the sprite. It may have similar behavior to 4 4, or hex C1 glitch Pokemon, but I'm looking into it more.

[size=8pt](would you guys help me with this)[/size]

Re: Looking into JP Red/Green Missingno.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2020-03-18 08:39:19

Lately, I been doing things related to glitch Pokemon in the Japanese Red/Green games. I used cheat codes to freeze the sound bank to $08 so I'd prevent crashes related to those sound banks. I encountered Missigno., and well…

After some weird sounds, it corrupted all of the memory areas nearly up to the box data (around $DA5D)! It must be the sprite. It may have similar behavior to 4 4, or hex C1 glitch Pokemon, but I'm looking into it more.

[size=8pt](would you guys help me with this)[/size]
Sure, I'll look into it for you. :)

The battle sound bank is, like English versions 08. It seems for me, at 113F, a becomes $88 because of an or with e (80).  08 or 80 thus produces sound bank $88 (leading to an earlier rather than later freeze). Therefore it's a question; where does e come from. Also if C0EF/C0F0 is 02 at this point (it's normally 08), I get 82 instead again from or e. With breakpoints on both C0EE on write and 113F; e is 40 then it goes 80 40 80 40 80 c0 80 c0 80 c0. Still this is not in the save file, hmm. However, it is the same when I encounter MissingNo. again at Red's house.