Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Newbie question about Item Underflow, Battle Animations, Text Speed - Page 1

Newbie question about Item Underflow, Battle Animations, Text Speed

Posted by: BarbeChenue
Date: 2020-05-19 21:52:13
Hi !

I'm new here. I've lurked online trying different things with the VC Pokemon Red version, and I stumbled here many times since. Confinement gives me plenty of time to geek around. :)

I'm currently playing around with the «[texture]J.        x[weird triangle]9» (see attachment) to try and toss the right amount to keep both "0 frame per character" *and* Battle Animations. So far, I've only managed to glitch screen "brightness", get it real dark, inverted, very pale, etc. I froze the game many times, and it's been hilarious, but it's not functional.

Does anyone understand this and could explain of I can find out how to toss the right amount?

/newbie-out

P.S.:
On this page (https://glitchcity.info/wiki/Expanded_bag_item_documentation_(Generation_I)), I understand part of the functioning, but it seems to be missing bits #4-5-6, no?

Item 28 quantity wOptions D355 D354 The options visible in the Options menu.

Bits 0-3 correspond to text speed, with their value amounting to the amount of frames between each character printed to the screen; 5 corresponds to the "Slow" option, 3 to the "Medium" option, and 1 to the "Fast" option. Bit 6 corresponds to the Battle Style: it is 0 when the style is set to Shift, and 1 when set to Set. Bit 7 corresponds to Battle Animations; however, it is 0 when Battle Animations are on, and 1 when they are off.
(reword)

Re: Newbie question about Item Underflow, Battle Animations, Text Speed

Posted by: Háčky
Date: 2020-05-20 09:52:08
I dont think bits 4 and 5 are used for anything. So if you want all the other values to be 0, you could keep 16, 32, or 48 of the item.

Posted by: BarbeChenue
Date: 2020-05-20 16:54:48
It works and it didn't seem to glitch AFAIK.

I made a small chart to summarize what I understood. Basically, each bit of the byte translates as such:

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2020-06-07 13:20:23
Cool, glad it worked and nice you made a table. ^^

Another way is using the bit toggling keypad on Windows Calculator, then converting your bits to decimal to get the quantity you want.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/tFwLFxS.png[/img]

By hand, the first bit on is +2^0, the second +2^1, and so on. So above, bit 4 is the only bit on; or 2^4 (quantity of 16).