Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation II Glitch Discussion

Get a Bad Clone - Page 1

Get a Bad Clone

Posted by: Zach the Glitch Buster
Date: 2007-11-03 13:16:05
I only know of one way to get bad clones, but it rarely works on the first try:
    - Deposit a Pok?mon in a PC box
    - Turn off the PC
    - Open the "start menu" (i.e., press "Start")
    - Chose "Save"
    - Turn off the Game Boy about a second after "Don't turn off the power." appears
    - Try again…

You will know that it worked if in your PC box, you have a level 0 clone of the Pok?mon you deposited. In G/S, it's name will appear blank in the PC box. In Crystal, the name will be a bunch of question marks. It may happen that you get a blank-named clone that isn't really a bad clone, because it isn't at level 0.

Apparently, the bad clone trick only works in a PC box that was never completely filled, and it won't work with certain Pok?mon (e.g., legendaries). I have been successful with Meowth, Onix, Magikarp, Hoothoot and Sneasel, if ever that may help you.

This was posted somewhere on the Celebi Trick. If I can confirm this it's approved and if anyone also wants to try, go ahead. 

Re: Get a Bad Clone

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2007-12-16 05:51:10
I'm trying this an I can't get it to work. I might just have the timing wrong though.

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2007-12-16 06:58:17
Another way to get bad clone I discovered a some years back, it actually made me join to post it…..again this rarely works.
The good old days…. :P

I was trying to discover a new way of doing the cloning glitch on G/S to try and get glitched up pokemon and I found one way to get a pretty glitched Pokemon.

If you Save Relatively near a Pokemon center (it beats walking) and go in to Grass and encounter a wild Pokemon and Catch it. You then Save and as it says SAVING GAME….. DO NOT TURN OFF POWER; You guessed it! You turn off!

You check your PC or Party and you will have a nameless pokemon shown by "            " or "?"
If you check its stats It will have OT: ? and its Trainer ID Number is 000000

I have done this with a Rattata and a Sentret which worked

Unfortunately the glitch has a pretty low success rate but It does work! (honest!)

I may try this again to make sure, but it worked twice, even though I spent all night trying to replicate it.
I'll also see if I can use this type of clone, I expect I can.

Posted by: Zach the Glitch Buster
Date: 2008-03-09 11:38:54
Well to get this to work we just need to find the time when turning off the game causes the Pokemon to get glitched.  We have the broad window of time of when the game needs to be reset, but to perfect this, we need to get the timing exact.  I'll look into this if I have time.

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2008-04-23 07:28:49
I heard about that other method. And I tested it, it works. However, it is very useless… because you need your sneasel at lvl 57… but I don't think we can actually catch a lvl 57 sneasel… Am I wrong ?

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2008-05-12 12:12:27
Umm… but this topic ain't about the Celebi Glitch of GSC, just how to get a bad clone. (}O

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2008-05-25 17:26:03

Umm… but this topic ain't about the Celebi Glitch of GSC, just how to get a bad clone. (}O
It could be a method to get a bad clone. :???:

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2008-05-26 14:21:31
Let's see here… (the numbers are different methods, not steps)

1.  Do the cloning glitch in Pokemon Stadium

2. Shut the Game off earlier than usual when doing a cloning glitch.

3.  (coming later)

I heard these work from somewhere.

Posted by: Raven Freak
Date: 2008-08-18 21:39:55
This happened to me once in Crystal when I cloned my Smeargle. It's name was?????????? and when I used it in battle the screen changed colors and the music sped up.