Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation II Glitch Discussion

MissingNo. on pokemon Gold/Red trading! - Page 1

MissingNo. on pokemon Gold/Red trading!

Posted by: Inquisitor
Date: 2009-08-15 11:51:13
So this happened a year ago so I don't remember exactly what caused it but anyways…

I was trading pokemons from pokemon red to pokemon gold (If I remember corretly I was trading hitmonlee to pokemon Gold for a Caterpie), when I accidentally disconnected the trade wire right after the trade was finished (the hitmonlee one, I was just going to trade another pokemon). Then at this point, pokemon gold froze and I wasn't able to do anything, but Pokemon red still worked, but when I looked at it, all the pokemons were turned into MissingNo.s!! Well actually I (Pokemon red game) had ONE MissingNo. in the team (although I had more than one pokemon) and the Gold game was filled by infinite MissingNo.s! I tried to view the stats of my MissingNo. but then the game glitched and I had to restart it. When I restarted it, my team was right like it was after I traded hitmonlee, so I had the caterpie and no trace of MissingNo. was found. Also Pokemon gold suffered no damage from this.

(NOTE: I've never used any cheat nor I attempted to capture a glitch pokemon through the mew glitch, although I did catch mew, chansey and mewth using it)

Re: MissingNo. on pokemon Gold/Red trading!

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2009-08-15 13:23:45
Gold didn't have any MissingNo.s, it had ?????s that MIGHT have been nicknamed MissingNo.  MissingNo. does not exist in G/S/C, only G/R/B/Y (and as an OVERWORLD sprite in D/P).

Also, weird things like this happen while trading/battling and the link cable is removed.

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2009-08-15 13:35:43
Note that the "MissingNo.s" appeared on his Red version, not his Gold.

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2009-08-15 14:31:01
"Well actually I (Pokemon red game) had ONE MissingNo. in the team (although I had more than one pokemon) and the Gold game was filled by infinite MissingNo.s! I tried to view the stats of my MissingNo. but then the game glitched and I had to restart it."

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2009-08-15 14:46:45

"Well actually I (Pokemon red game) had ONE MissingNo. in the team (although I had more than one pokemon) and the Gold game was filled by infinite MissingNo.s! I tried to view the stats of my MissingNo. but then the game glitched and I had to restart it."

..ah. Then he means ????? or Egg then. Didn't see that :)

Date: 2009-08-15 15:36:10

…I meant the gold game seen from the RED game, since you can see the other player's pokemons in a trade. The gold game was completely frozen, but from the RED game I saw that the gold game pokemons were infinite MissingNo.'s (More than 6)

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2009-08-15 16:49:33
When the text appears it aften says MissingNo. for anything which is non conformant. If you do have an error during a trade I find that it more often turns into a 'M

Date: 2009-08-16 17:00:25

When the text appears it aften says MissingNo. for anything which is non conformant. If you do have an error during a trade I find that it more often turns into a 'M

Ah that it is then. It however gave me no damage to the game. Maybe because it didn't auto-save the game when that happened, or the thing itself was just not dangerous?

Posted by: Cioger
Date: 2009-08-23 23:39:35
strange dude. something like this happend to me. I tried to trade missingNo to crystal and and it said. 'crystal is only compadable with a GAME BOY Color'