Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation II Glitch Discussion

Why you shouldn't "cartridge tilt" in GSC. - Page 1

Why you shouldn't "cartridge tilt" in GSC.

Posted by: MrGlitch
Date: 2009-12-24 08:27:16
I did, yesterday, and THIS happened…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJLsb-qaXdk
Eek!

Re: Why you shouldn't "cartridge tilt" in GSC.

Posted by: Bassmasta
Date: 2009-12-24 19:38:46
Something like that happened in my cartridge Blue version when it worked. It had a messed up ROM and I forgot what I did exactly but I walked out of the Cinnabar Pokémon Center and that happened. Had no idea it was in second generation, though.

Posted by: xeno
Date: 2009-12-25 01:31:10
I was able to do that in Red, without Cartridge tilting.
It looks neat though.

In GSC is pretty interesting I gotta say too…

Date: 2009-12-25 10:53:18
Thanks for the comments.  Wow, it's only been up one day, and 20 views already! 'o.O

Anyway, I've tried to get palette changes in the past few days by cartridge shifting, and this is what I've come up with:
~Moving the cartridge to one side when the game is off, then turning it back on and moving it back to the normal position will only make the game freeze.
~Most cartridge shifting will result in:
1. A black screen with no music
2. A black screen stuck on the last note of the music that was playing in the game (most common)
3. A restarted game with a changed palette
4. A retsarted game with normal palette
5. A blank white screen (common)

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2009-12-25 13:35:04

That would be Glitch Dimension then.

Posted by: SCared_Fir3
Date: 2009-12-25 19:18:13
Hmm so basically you just tilted the cart a little while it was on and in? I wanna try that soon :)

Date: 2009-12-26 07:25:27

Oh, so Glitch Dimension isn't an actual place in GSC–just a bunch of random colors?  In that case, it's got to be one of the easiest glitches to do.

@SCared_Fir3: Yep, that's what I dod.  Notice I did this on a Gameboy Advance SP, because with the cart sticking out of the bottom, it's easier to grasp and move more subtly.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2009-12-28 17:14:26

Oh, so Glitch Dimension isn't an actual place in GSC–just a bunch of random colors?  In that case, it's got to be one of the easiest glitches to do.

@SCared_Fir3: Yep, that's what I dod.  Notice I did this on a Gameboy Advance SP, because with the cart sticking out of the bottom, it's easier to grasp and move more subtly.

Correct, there must be many 'actual glitch places' on Pokemon G/S/C, seeing as two bytes are used for indexed locations however most I tried to find using a code crashed the game, I did find one 'blank cave' though http://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php/topic,5482.0.html; it is usually pitch black but when the player uses flash the cave would light up and show glitchy tiles. The player can move quite a distance vertically but many tiles 'push' the player back up. With walk through walls it links to something like route 23.

The standard method to start a glitch dimension involving the machop in vermillion city does not work in Crystal and has been fixed, I do not own Crystal but apparantly when the game tries to start a glitch dimension it will say 'This game only works on GameBoy colour'  as an error trap to prevent piracy and I think Crystal is incompatible with the super gameboy colour.

There is a glitch item on pokemon red/blue to make a 'seizure effect' as well; and also a glitched event for the radio station on Pokemon Gold which will make that same effect.

Posted by: Axaj
Date: 2009-12-28 23:18:41
At some point I would like to set up a cartridge tilt "emulator" using an Arduino (or just an ATmega with supporting circuitry) to very shortly disconnect and reconnect the data lines.  I have the hardware, so it should be done within the next 6 months.

Date: 2009-12-29 10:05:20

The standard method to start a glitch dimension involving the machop in vermillion city does not work in Crystal and has been fixed, I do not own Crystal but apparantly when the game tries to start a glitch dimension it will say 'This game only works on GameBoy colour'  as an error trap to prevent piracy and I think Crystal is incompatible with the super gameboy colour.

Oh yes, I had a question about the Machop trick also.  Is there any particular reason why you can't fly from Johto to Kanto?  I really want to try that trick, but never got past Tohjo Falls.  As soon as I teach one of my Pokemon Waterfall…*d'oh*

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2010-01-01 10:17:18

Oh yes, I had a question about the Machop trick also.  Is there any particular reason why you can't fly from Johto to Kanto?  I really want to try that trick, but never got past Tohjo Falls.  As soon as I teach one of my Pokemon Waterfall…*d'oh*

Nintendo probably just wanted players to spend time in Kanto and get the magnet train pass first; it is technically possible and strangely enough the game even stores data for flying directly to the fast ship! I didn't get a chance to check the radio station though, if one were to fly directly from Johto to Kanto perhaps it would still have the Johto radio stations?

What I used to do though was beat the elite four in kanto to get back to johto, and surf past New Bark town and fly back to a kanto town.