Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation II Glitch Discussion

Bad Clone Oddities in Crystal - Page 1

Bad Clone Oddities in Crystal

Posted by: Jellybones
Date: 2010-04-21 19:30:41
I tried cloning my entire team in Crystal, since I just wanted a level 55 version of them. I tried cloning, and it didn't work. I'm aware that this gets me bad clones, so I have a box 9 of five bad clones. I left them alone for a while since I couldn't find a way to look at them since withdrawing froze the game. But I found out I could use "move pokemon w/o mail" to look at my box. Day 1, it was VERY messed up. Strange symbols this laptop or maybe any computer couldn't make, along with my trainer's name and ?'s everywhere, pretty much going off the screen.
Next time I played, I wanted to show my friend this and I was shocked at what I found. As I kept pressing B and A randomely, I would encounter one of the following:
Kingdra
Lanturn
Labutops
They were either level 0 or, level 255. Yep, you read that right. I could not withdraw them, sadly. Looking at their stats brought up one of the pokemon I originally tried cloning, but the sprite was distorted, jumbled, and words were upside down. I should also add their names were DQ???BUTT. Something to do with Headbutt, maybe? One of the glitched clones was a Donphan that knew Headbutt. The name "barock" also shows up a lot. It's with an A with a dot on top, though. More of those evil A's show up when pressing B or A constantly.
Next time, I could actually withdraw these pokemon. But they weren't level 255 anymore- they were level 55's of what I originally attempted to clone. But they still have fucked up names. In the menu that shows your team, they are named ?!, same as when withdrawing though in the PC they are ??????????, even off the screen. In Battle, they are ??????????????, but there's an additional ? on the left of the screen next to your Pokemon, and it stays even when you use attacks. They also level up fine.
I haven't done so yet but I'll try inducting them in the Hall of Fame, Breeding, etc to see if they have any effects.
But I mostly want to ask why has this all happened? I mean, why level 255 Lanturns and such? I have a suspicion it may do with my trainer name, but I'm not sure. I tried looking it up on this site's wiki but there isn't too much information about this.

Re: Bad Clone Oddities in Crystal

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2010-04-22 02:30:07

I tried cloning my entire team in Crystal, since I just wanted a level 55 version of them. I tried cloning, and it didn't work. I'm aware that this gets me bad clones, so I have a box 9 of five bad clones. I left them alone for a while since I couldn't find a way to look at them since withdrawing froze the game. But I found out I could use "move pokemon w/o mail" to look at my box. Day 1, it was VERY messed up. Strange symbols this laptop or maybe any computer couldn't make, along with my trainer's name and ?'s everywhere, pretty much going off the screen.
Next time I played, I wanted to show my friend this and I was shocked at what I found. As I kept pressing B and A randomely, I would encounter one of the following:
Kingdra
Lanturn
Labutops
They were either level 0 or, level 255. Yep, you read that right. I could not withdraw them, sadly. Looking at their stats brought up one of the pokemon I originally tried cloning, but the sprite was distorted, jumbled, and words were upside down. I should also add their names were DQ???BUTT. Something to do with Headbutt, maybe? One of the glitched clones was a Donphan that knew Headbutt. The name "barock" also shows up a lot. It's with an A with a dot on top, though. More of those evil A's show up when pressing B or A constantly.
Next time, I could actually withdraw these pokemon. But they weren't level 255 anymore- they were level 55's of what I originally attempted to clone. But they still have fucked up names. In the menu that shows your team, they are named ?!, same as when withdrawing though in the PC they are ??????????, even off the screen. In Battle, they are ??????????????, but there's an additional ? on the left of the screen next to your Pokemon, and it stays even when you use attacks. They also level up fine.
I haven't done so yet but I'll try inducting them in the Hall of Fame, Breeding, etc to see if they have any effects.
But I mostly want to ask why has this all happened? I mean, why level 255 Lanturns and such? I have a suspicion it may do with my trainer name, but I'm not sure. I tried looking it up on this site's wiki but there isn't too much information about this.

What may have happened was whilst moving boxes you turned the game off before it changes the amount of Pokémon in your PC. In this sense, the game would attempt to view Pokémon past the amount of Pokémon you actually had, e.g. if you changed from a box full of 20 Pokémon to a box of 0 Pokémon you would perhaps see 20 'random' Pokémon.

These would actually correspond to data in the RAM past Pokémon box data translated as Pokémon information.

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2010-04-22 22:15:31
Something similar to this happened on a normal gold game to me on an emulator, after cheating but in a different save state. When I put a pokemon into a box other than box 1 using move the screen would glitch, return me to my party and when I looked back at the box my pokemon would be replaced with a lvl 255 ????? (not sure which hex) and with glitchy names.

Strange but sounds almost similar as my box 2 glitched in a wierd way, changing my pokemon's names to —– and giving them random items, even changing their species or making them simply disappear sometimes.

Also when messing with the glitch pokemon my party (which had like 9 pokemon in it) would gain items and change species, moves, level, name, id no., everything and after battles my pokemon would continuously evolve, eg. rattata evolves into raticate over and over again, (sometimes pokemon which I didn't even havein my party evolved).

Their palettes were also mixed up in battle and they often used different backsprites to the sprites in their status screen (for example one pokemon glitched into a meganium which in battle had a backsprite of a blue hoothoot).

This is why cloning in G/S/C has always sounded like a bad idea to me…

Posted by: VaeporSage
Date: 2010-04-23 14:58:19

This is why cloning in G/S/C has always sounded like a bad idea to me…

What do you mean? I'm VERY inclined to take out my treasured Crystal Version and glitch around with it for once. This is fascinating. I'd sorta guessed that Bad Clones are useful for more than we credit them for. But are all Bad Clones the same?

Date: 2010-04-23 20:09:14

…after cheating but in a different save state.

Meaning it oculd screw over my cartridge permanently. Besides, my gold game is pretty good and one of the few still in a good working condition. (as in the battery doesn't erase the game every time yet)

Posted by: Jellybones
Date: 2010-04-24 14:44:59

(Amusing Glitches)

Wow, I'm almost tempted to do this on my Crystal. Almost. It works too well, though.

I'd sorta guessed that Bad Clones are useful for more than we credit them for.

Indeed, I think we can find out a lot from Bad Clones. Not necessarily useful things, but still.  :P Sometimes I wonder why I don't hear much of them, since they are incredibly amusing. I mean, I had a blast finding level 255's appear in my box randomely. Even though I never even caught those Pokemon. :P

But are all Bad Clones the same?

I'm probably wrong, but I'm taking an educated guess and saying it probably depends on when you wrongly shut your game off while saving. They could possibly have worse/lulzier effects then mine or most run of the mill bad clones.

Date: 2010-04-24 19:39:59

But are all Bad Clones the same?

I think they're all the same HEX, but they can behave very oddly and can have unpredictable side effects.

Posted by: VaeporSage
Date: 2010-04-25 10:11:20
So, essentially, Bad Clones are what n00bs think Missingno. is?

Date: 2010-04-25 14:57:00

So, essentially, Bad Clones are what n00bs think Missingno. is?

yeah