Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation II Glitch Discussion

G/S/C "No windows available for popping." explained! - Page 1

G/S/C "No windows available for popping." explained!

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2010-07-28 12:07:18
While I was trying to generate and test a code for Crystal's OptionDex to edit start menu options, I encounter the "No windows available for popping." message, but since memory viewer was open (and to my luck, at the correct area that causes the message) I noticed some values changed.  I started experimenting with values like Crystal's CF78 that says how many windows are open in the start menu.  I tried messing with that setting it to 00 but nothing worked. 

Then I noticed a value that changed while opening the start menu, Crystal: CF71.  It changes from FD on overworld to 83 on the start menu.  I edited the 83 to FD while on the ground/first floor of your mom's house and then exited the start menu.  The message was forced to appear.  Seeing if this was location reliant, I checked other areas and they had different results, mostly never giving the message after multple attempts.  I then accessed the option that caused the popping message and saw it also changed Crystal's CF72 from a DF to a DE.

Thinking that the message may need two variables to work all the time, I reopened the start menu and changed CF71 to FD and CF72 to DF.  I exited the menu and was rewarded with a "No windows available for popping." message.

It seems that the message is not due to text boxes or signs as they do not changed these values.  It has to do with option menus such as the start menu and the PC.  The popping message is an error trap used for debugging purposes to make sure window opening/closing in menus worked properly and prevent game effecting glitches from occuring.  In Crystal when I only changed value CF71 in New Bark Town, the game seemed to lag heavily on the start menus. 

In Gold/Silver, only one byte is changed by start menus/PC Menus so only one byte needs to be changed in order for this message to appear. Only address CEA8 must be changed to FD for the message to appear.  Crystal has more security as it uses 2 bytes to check overworld/menu option status. Gold/Silver only use one.

Glitches/WTW Glitches cause this error message to occur by trying to open a start menu window then instantaniously close it and reset the values before the window was closed.  Part of the error trap is that controls lock.

Values for Crystal that cause this message and what they need to be changed to:

CF71: FD
CF72: DF

G/S Values that need to be changed to cause this message:

CEA8: FD

Reason:

The values cause parts of the code to disagree with each other triggering the error trap which gives the message.

Mystery solved.(?)

Re: G/S/C "No windows available for popping." explained!

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2010-07-28 13:15:03
Great find! When testing the values for the address on Pokémon Gold however, although when closing the start menu the value was changed to FD (253) when the menu is closed, the value was changed to 37 (55) rather than 83 (131) when opening it again. Perhaps this value varies between the games, or maybe something different?

I did notice though, that if the value that the address was on the menu was the same as it was when it was closed e.g. 37 and 37, it would trigger the "No windows avail-able for popping." message and similarly, the message wouldn't appear if those values were different (I tried inverting the values; 37 for a closed menu and FD for an open menu and didn't receive the message).

Perhaps from this we can conclude that specifically the game would change the value of the address (or on Crystal's case two addresses) whenever a menu function was executed successfully. That might be why the game seems to review the values and perhaps make out that they were invalid window functions if these values were the same?

Re: G/S/C "No windows available for popping." explained!

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2010-07-28 13:38:11

Great find! When testing the values for the address on Pokémon Gold however, although when closing the start menu the value was changed to FD (253) when the menu is closed, the value was changed to 37 (55) rather than 83 (131) when opening it again. Perhaps this value varies between the games, or maybe something different?

I did notice though, that if the value that the address was on the menu was the same as it was when it was closed e.g. 37 and 37, it would trigger the "No windows avail-able for popping." message and similarly, the message wouldn't appear if those values were different (I tried inverting the values; 37 for a closed menu and FD for an open menu and didn't receive the message).

Perhaps from this we can conclude that specifically the game would change the value of the address (or on Crystal's case two addresses) whenever a menu function was executed successfully. That might be why the game seems to review the values and perhaps make out that they were invalid window functions if these values were the same?

The values set when you open the menu differ per version but the effects are the same.

Also, sure.